Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Teacher appreciation

Posted by on Apr. 4, 2014 at 1:56 PM
  • 17 Replies

If your school organizes something for Teacher (and staff) appreciation, what are they/you doing?

We have teacher appreciation on Apr 25 & I just realized that its just 3 weeks away & my fellow class moms & I haven't figured out what we are doing for the first grade teacher & the aide.  Need to get that sorted out - but we're struggling with ideas!

by on Apr. 4, 2014 at 1:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MamaLauri
by Member on Apr. 4, 2014 at 2:23 PM

First of all, do you think the teacher is a good teacher? Community support and feeling you are doing a good job, are the main reasons why teachers stay with a school (they might stay in district because of union issues). If so do something that involves contributions from the kids that shows you understand something she/he values that can be put up in the room or on the desk or a gift certificate to something that a photo can be taken at the event and framed. 

ljmom24
by Bronze Member on Apr. 4, 2014 at 2:54 PM
Both my kids school the pto does a lunch. Usually parents come in and cover the class and they either do a pot luck or order lunch for them. It's all part of the year long fundraising do what's done it's decided after the money is distributing for each class field trip so if we are short on funds one year moms cook.
clairewait
by Member on Apr. 4, 2014 at 3:30 PM

Our school just takes a general collection from the kids (anonymously and no amount is specified) and then we give a gift card.

It is easy and probably a great gift. I used to be a teacher. This would have been wonderful for me, and to say "from the whole class" doesn't make anyone who can't afford it feel left out. 

I feel like we also were asked to have our kids write a little card or note. (I'm actually pretty sure we totally forgot to do that part. Hah.)

wakymom
by Ruby Member on Apr. 4, 2014 at 4:23 PM

The PTO provides lunch for the teachers and staff once or twice a yrand asks parents if they'd like to provide anything.

mommy053008
by Maria on Apr. 4, 2014 at 4:52 PM
We have a 2 weeks until it we celebrate all week. Card day, coffee day, flower day, teacher luncheon and gift day.
GwenMB
by Gwen on Apr. 4, 2014 at 5:00 PM

We did a collection when we were doing their birthday presents so we have $30 for the teacher & $30 for the aide.  I suspect that'll be used for a gift card - unless we spend a lot on something we do with the kids.

A card/note is a good idea - she would love that.

Quoting clairewait:

Our school just takes a general collection from the kids (anonymously and no amount is specified) and then we give a gift card.

It is easy and probably a great gift. I used to be a teacher. This would have been wonderful for me, and to say "from the whole class" doesn't make anyone who can't afford it feel left out. 

I feel like we also were asked to have our kids write a little card or note. (I'm actually pretty sure we totally forgot to do that part. Hah.)

GwenMB
by Gwen on Apr. 4, 2014 at 5:01 PM

Quoting MamaLauri:

First of all, do you think the teacher is a good teacher? Community support and feeling you are doing a good job, are the main reasons why teachers stay with a school (they might stay in district because of union issues). If so do something that involves contributions from the kids that shows you understand something she/he values that can be put up in the room or on the desk or a gift certificate to something that a photo can be taken at the event and framed. 

This is a good idea.  We do think both are good (the teacher & the aide) - notes of some sort would be fun for both to receive.

soymujer
by Mikki on Apr. 4, 2014 at 8:47 PM

The elementary PTO always does something for the teachers there.

family in the van   Mom of four

meam4444
by Silver Member on Apr. 4, 2014 at 9:02 PM
The school doesn't take up a collection, but we can do one on our own in appreciation.
BeachLifeMama
by Bronze Member on Apr. 4, 2014 at 11:05 PM
This

Quoting clairewait:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)