Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Birthday party question

Posted by on Apr. 4, 2014 at 3:45 PM
  • 37 Replies

When your child attends a birthday party do you expect them to be fed? DD is having her birthday party at a spa place, the birthday parties are three hours long and they only allow cake to be served because of time constraints. They do allow you to book an extra 30 minutes of time which is an extra $50 but that would make the party three and half hours long and put the cost of the party at almost $500. Money isn't really the issue, this is DD's first real birthday party where she's inviting friends from school so I want it to be awesome for her. 

She's going to be nine years old and in years past I always give her the option if she wants a big party or she wants to go somewhere fun. So last year we went to the American girl store and had lunch and she picked out a doll for her birthday present. This year she wants a party as her present ( I wish she chose a big gift lol) so I wanted some opinions as to if I should maybe make the party from 1 to 4 and only serve cake since it's between lunch and dinner, or if I should start the party earlier maybe 10 or 11 o'clock and then book the extra half-hour for the pizza. My only concern is that three and half hours is a really long party compared to some of the other ones we've been to at the jump place or laser tag. please help me lol :)

by on Apr. 4, 2014 at 3:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Miller0305
by Member on Apr. 4, 2014 at 3:46 PM

Wow that was really long! Thank you if you made it through the whole thing :)

coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on Apr. 4, 2014 at 3:52 PM
2 moms liked this
I only expect cake. Usually if there will be other foood, they put on the invitation "pizza and cake will be served."
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Andrewsmom70
by Gold Member on Apr. 4, 2014 at 4:20 PM

I can't imagine dropping that much money on a 9 year old's party to be honest. And I wouldn't add to the expenses for pizza and the extra time in the spa. 

wakymom
by Ruby Member on Apr. 4, 2014 at 4:21 PM
1 mom liked this

I only expect cake.

my4littlegirls
by and 1 boy on Apr. 4, 2014 at 4:23 PM

If you do not want to book the extra half hour put on the invites that only cake will be served that way the people know to feed their children. Normally around here people feed the children unless it just says cake.  

cupcake_mom
by Bronze Member on Apr. 4, 2014 at 4:27 PM
If the party is scheduled around lunch or divert time them I normally feed the crew if not then I don't. But we normally have cookouts for the girls
Miller0305
by Member on Apr. 4, 2014 at 4:30 PM
It does seem indulgent, but deserves it, she's a great kid. And like I said she's turning 9 and this is her first real birthday party so we don't/ won't do this every year. And this party is her present.

Quoting Andrewsmom70:

I can't imagine dropping that much money on a 9 year old's party to be honest. And I wouldn't add to the expenses for pizza and the extra time in the spa. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Miller0305
by Member on Apr. 4, 2014 at 4:32 PM
I wish we could do a cook out but it's still cold here in early May. My son's birthday is easy because it's in August, so we have his friends over to my in-laws house who live on a lake and the kids swim and go tubing. I think I'll schedule it from 1-4 and just do cake.

Quoting cupcake_mom: If the party is scheduled around lunch or divert time them I normally feed the crew if not then I don't. But we normally have cookouts for the girls
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Miller0305
by Member on Apr. 4, 2014 at 4:34 PM
I don't mind booking the extra 30 minutes but do you think 3 1/2 hour birthday party is long? Plus most the kids around here are really booked up in activities on the weekends I'm just afraid with soccer and other sports that kids won't be able to come for that long.

Quoting my4littlegirls:

If you do not want to book the extra half hour put on the invites that only cake will be served that way the people know to feed their children. Normally around here people feed the children unless it just says cake.  

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Andrewsmom70
by Gold Member on Apr. 4, 2014 at 4:37 PM

If that's your concern, why have it there? 

Quoting Miller0305: I don't mind booking the extra 30 minutes but do you think 3 1/2 hour birthday party is long? Plus most the kids around here are really booked up in activities on the weekends I'm just afraid with soccer and other sports that kids won't be able to come for that long.
Quoting my4littlegirls:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN