Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Summer reading lists (random thoughts-long!)

Posted by on Apr. 4, 2014 at 10:16 PM
  • 20 Replies
It's almost that time! I've been on the internet for a few hours looking at summer reading lists from various places. Dd is going into second grade and her lists are called "second grade" reading lists, even though she's not quite there yet. Lol

As someone has said before, DRA 18-20 are the levels that bridge first and second grade. I guess that's on average. On this site, many parents are saying their kids are at the Junie B Level or higher -that would be DRA 24-28, which is average for the second half of second grade (if you go by the charts...)

Some lists span the whole 2nd grade gamut, some focus on 18-20, and some even include the novels and poems they think parents should be reading to their kids.

I hate the "readers" section at the library, because the books look so boring and identical. I'm looking for books at dd's level that I can pull out of the picture book section - like Caldecott Award winners - real stories with real pictures! (No, all readers aren't bad I guess.).

Jumanji and The Paperboy are two at the right level that I found on my lists and have won the Caldecott medal.

Who knows, dd's school might give us a generic list, but the kids are at such different reading levels that I wouldn't put much stock in it. I'm taking my own time to sift through it all.

Anyway...last year I made the huge mistake of giving her the summer off. Her reading ability regressed. It's not happening this year - that's why I'm so gung-ho.

Thanks if you took the time to read all this! Are you thinking about the summer?
by on Apr. 4, 2014 at 10:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Andrewsmom70
by Gold Member on Apr. 4, 2014 at 11:09 PM
2 moms liked this

We are using this: http://www.mensaforkids.org/content/school_readeraward.cfm for our gifted/talented kids this summer. We usually have a camp but we are moving to a new building and decided we wouldn't do camp this year. Instead we are giving parents a list of resources they can pick and choose from if they want to do some educational things with their kids this summer.

Impressionists
by Bronze Member on Apr. 4, 2014 at 11:41 PM
1 mom liked this
My daughter has never been considered gifted by a school, only by me. Still, I love the program you posted the link to. I'll probably print off the list to put with my others. I would probably do the whole program if I didn't feel like we would be cheating by not being in a gifted program. Lol

Quoting Andrewsmom70:

We are using this: http://www.mensaforkids.org/content/school_readeraward.cfm for our gifted/talented kids this summer. We usually have a camp but we are moving to a new building and decided we wouldn't do camp this year. Instead we are giving parents a list of resources they can pick and choose from if they want to do some educational things with their kids this summer.

GwenMB
by Gwen on Apr. 5, 2014 at 12:25 AM
2 moms liked this

This is a fun list! We've read many of the books, I think I'm going to make it a goal for my ds (going into 2nd grade) to read (or have us read to him) as many if the ones he hasn't read as possible.

Quoting Andrewsmom70:

Impressionists
by Bronze Member on Apr. 5, 2014 at 12:31 AM
1 mom liked this
It is a fun list. I'm going to email them and ask if any kid, or ones labeled gifted by someone, or members only, are encouraged to participate. I want dd to do it. Just picking from the list haphazardly wouldn't be a challenge.

Quoting GwenMB:

This is a fun list! We've read many of the books, I think I'm going to make it a goal for my ds (going into 2nd grade) to read (or have us read to him) as many if the ones he hasn't read as possible.

Quoting Andrewsmom70:

nomadbrat83
by Bronze Member on Apr. 5, 2014 at 2:12 AM
1 mom liked this
Thanks for the list. I am always looking for books for my gifted dd.

Quoting Andrewsmom70:

mamavalor
by Bronze Member on Apr. 5, 2014 at 4:32 AM
1 mom liked this

Thank you for the link.  This would be very helpful, especially for my 7th grader who doesn't read as much as she used to.  :(

Quoting Andrewsmom70:

mamavalor
by Bronze Member on Apr. 5, 2014 at 4:33 AM

I love going to book sales.  We always find good reads unexpectedly.

mcginnisc
by Bronze Member on Apr. 5, 2014 at 7:00 AM
My oldest loves to read so there is no telling what she will read over the summer. She is in 2nd grade and is reading Harry Potter 6 at the moment...I am sure she will read 7 over the summer but I am not sure what else..my youngest is in Kindergarten and can read step 1 books so I will be working with her over the summer.
disneymom2two
by Silver Member on Apr. 5, 2014 at 7:07 AM

Our elementary schools don't have required reading over the summer but we read all the time because we enjoy it so I'm not worried about her reading regressing; she's in 2nd grade and reading above grade level.

Impressionists
by Bronze Member on Apr. 5, 2014 at 10:22 AM
Last summer, getting dd to read wouldn't have been easy. She enjoys it more now, so I shouldn't have any problems with her wanting to this summer. I just wish she's pick up a book and go sit in the corner to read by herself! We're not there yet.

Quoting disneymom2two:

Our elementary schools don't have required reading over the summer but we read all the time because we enjoy it so I'm not worried about her reading regressing; she's in 2nd grade and reading above grade level.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)