Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Living conditions.. what to do.. thoughts?

Posted by on Apr. 6, 2014 at 1:16 AM
  • 45 Replies

My husband and I are planning on continuing classes in another city for a couple years. We found a very lovely school for our daughter and the college has daycare for our son. We own a house, farm, and land right now. We will still own it but just live over in the other city for a couple years to finish school. We were considering renting our home out to help with our payments for school and everything.

My husband doesn't want to rent. He sees it as a waste of money which is understandable. So his first plan was to buy a house over there and rent it out or resell it after we move back. I on the otherhand didn't like that plan. I don't feel as though we could be decent landlords when we live hours away. (we have family and friends in the city we live in now to help with renting out our house) But we don't know anyone yet in this other city. Not to mention the cost of just buying a new house we're not going to live in longer than a couple years!! We would have to get a loan and all of that. We don't have the paper work filled out and turned in for that so IDK if we'd even qualify.

Well another option for us is to purchase a mobile home. We looked at a few and find a couple nice ones. They are only two bedrooms (which will be a huge difference compared to our four bedroom full basement house we have right now). The city isn't very large so the worst part of town isn't really that bad but there is where these mobile homes are located. The trailer park is rather trashy. The homes around ours are beat up and theres trash. I'm not worried about our safety, I think as far as the worst part of town it's still pretty nice.) The best part of this option is that we have the money for these mobile homes. So they would be paid off and we wouldn't have to worry about that on top of school payments and everything else. But at the same time... I feel reluctant about the surroundings of the home.. and living in a trailer in a trailer park like that. I know it sounds stuck up... And I'm not judging the people that live there... It's just not very nice. Not to mention the huge downsize in room. Our children would have to share a room. But at the same time it's only for two years and... SO MUCH LESS TO WORRY ABOUT!! The trailer park is near both our college and my daughters school. AND we could move it back with us when we move back and rent it out.

One more option which my husband is almost completely against, well we did look at these brand new mobile homes. They're three bedrooms and very very very nice! I loved it!! But they're costing about $80,000, so we would have to get a loan for it. I like the idea because we could sell it after just two years of using it for a decent amount of money (although my husband doesn't think we'll be able to sell it for much) and we could even move it with us back here and rent it out here. He is mostly against it because he says if we're going to get a loan for that amount of money then we'd be better off trying to buy a house (my argument of course is we can move the trailer back with us and rent it out).

I'm just so stressed with these options that I need a few other opinions on which would be the best option and/or maybe hear some things we havent considered.

What do you ladies think? :)

by on Apr. 6, 2014 at 1:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
aetrom
by Gold Member on Apr. 6, 2014 at 3:33 AM
1 mom liked this
I have no idea except that from what i know your husband is right about not being able to sell the mobile home for much after. They depreciate quickly.

I would probably try option 2. Sounds reasonable. But i would probably put it to a vote. ;)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Apr. 6, 2014 at 8:34 AM
1 mom liked this

A new moblie home is exactly like a new car, it depreciates the moment you take delivery of it and instantly becomes worth a fraction of what you paid for it.  Where homes typically increase in value, mobile homes decrease in value.

IMO, I would rent a place while you are in school.  It is the simpliest of all of the options.

mjande4
by Platinum Member on Apr. 6, 2014 at 8:48 AM

I would rent a house or apartment, but I would personally never consider a mobile home.

urbpro
by Bronze Member on Apr. 6, 2014 at 9:10 AM

In some states, you can't purchase a home and then sell it within a couple of years without paying a big capital gains tax. It would make more sense to rent it out after you move but that is a huge hassle that I wouldn't want to deal with. In this situation, I would just rent a nice house until we were done with school.

KatLee42513
by on Apr. 6, 2014 at 9:19 AM
Ahh I think your thinking too hard into it. My husband and I live and own a condo that's 900 square feet - its what we can afford and we are able to save a boatload each month. My best piece of advice is where is it safe? Are the schools good? Stop thinking about the material itself - like I said - most of the families in our area are living in single family homes that cost 400k or more. We chose a condo - its not fancy but its in a safe area, schools are decent and we are able to save.
mommy053008
by Maria on Apr. 6, 2014 at 9:27 AM
If your only living there for a couple years why not rent
wakymom
by Ruby Member on Apr. 6, 2014 at 12:29 PM

I know renting can seem like throwing money away, but for a short term arrangement like what you're looking at, I think it's the best option.

Pukalani79
by Silver Member on Apr. 6, 2014 at 1:29 PM

Like the others have said, I think for such a short term, I'd look into renting.

BTW, when we moved across country, we rented our small home to my sister and her family.  Our family is also here, so we thought it would be okay.  We were so wrong.  The house was absolutely trashed.  It had an old furnace that got destroyed during a fight. The wiring and a light fixture was pulled from the ceiling. She left him for a short time and he quit paying rent.  They left food in the fridge, garbage everywhere and he broke into a locked shed we had on the property and stole somethings we had stored there.  I know this is the exception, but I would never rent out again unless we went through a property management group who could check on the house, but even then, I'm not sure I would

Barabell
by Barbara on Apr. 6, 2014 at 1:38 PM

I would rent. 

First, I would look into a management company to manage your existing property. If you pay a higher fee, they will even handle maintenance. I wouldn't want to manage that living a few cities away.

Second, I would rent in the city you're temporarily living in. Why would you buy? Your investment in your future is going to be continuing your education. In addition, you are going to be too busy to want to deal with repairs. It would make more sense to be able to call a landlord instead of detracting from the real investment you're making....which is your education.

Hannahluvsdogs
by Silver Member on Apr. 6, 2014 at 2:32 PM
I think buying when you'll only be there a few years is a bigger waste of money than renting.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN