Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

How do I handle this situation?

Posted by on Apr. 6, 2014 at 3:51 AM
  • 19 Replies

A friend of mine needed some help watching his 3 kids while his wife is at grad school, so I happily volunteered to watch the kids for them. One of their children constantly acts out no matter what I do. How do I tell him about this without it being uncomfortable/making it more uncomfortable than it needs to be?

by on Apr. 6, 2014 at 3:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
alexsmomma06
by Member on Apr. 6, 2014 at 3:55 AM

If I were the parent, I would want you to be straight forward about it and tell me that you have been having behavior issues with my child so that I can do what I can to correct it. 

Use words like "acting up", "breaking rules" to make it sound less confrontational.

ambergem
by on Apr. 6, 2014 at 3:56 AM
Yes. Just be straight up about it. I'm sure they want to know.

Quoting alexsmomma06:

If I were the parent, I would want you to be straight forward about it and tell me that you have been having behavior issues with my child so that I can do what I can to correct it. 

Use words like "acting up", "breaking rules" to make it sound less confrontational.

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Apr. 6, 2014 at 8:29 AM
3 moms liked this

Approach it like you are asking him for help solving the behavior problem.  Ask him what works for them at home, what type of discipline they use at home,etc.

mommy053008
by Maria on Apr. 6, 2014 at 9:29 AM
I'm rather blunt so I would just tell them.
Rebecca7708
by Member on Apr. 6, 2014 at 9:31 AM
I would just tell them that there have been some issues and lay them out for them. It would be helpful if you had specific examples of the negative behavior. Ask if they have these issues at home, and then ask how they deal with them and how they would like for you to handle them.
cupcake_mom
by Bronze Member on Apr. 6, 2014 at 9:34 AM
As a care giver you have no choice but to just tell the parents. You can only discipline so much. I have no problem telling the parents of the kids I watch exactly what their kid did
libsterdoodle
by on Apr. 6, 2014 at 10:09 AM

The first question I ask someone who is watching my kids is "how were they?"  I ask because I genuinely want to know how they behaved.  I would say that your best action is to let the person know your concerns, without judgement, just matter-of-factly.  I am certain that parent would want to know and would also want to do whatever is necessary to help you to address the misbehavior!!!  Good luck!

Barabell
by Barbara on Apr. 7, 2014 at 12:22 AM

I would do it pretty frankly. Daycare providers and parents should be on the same page, and so I appreciate it when a daycare provider has been frank with me. 

suetoo
by Member on Apr. 7, 2014 at 8:40 AM
1 mom liked this

Be specific, too. Cite exactly what you saw and describe the situation where it happened. Make sure child doesn't overhear. Could you suggest emailing? That way there is no subjective misunderstanding. Speak frankly, and both need to agree on how to handle the concern. Remember the child's developmental stage, too. Barabelle is right, being on the same page is vital.

lovemymini
by Member on Apr. 7, 2014 at 8:41 AM
This

Quoting alexsmomma06:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN