Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

silverware & children using it/meal time frustration

Posted by on Apr. 7, 2014 at 1:01 PM
  • 19 Replies

When do they get it?  We use silverware in this house, but as far as my daughter is concerned she really only needs a spoon for cereal, soup & ice cream.  I feel like a broken record at meal times, "use your napkin, use your fork not your fingers, slow down".  Meal times are still stressful for me at restaurants, at any moment that glass might topple over because she sets it too close to the edge of the table. She seems to be very greedy with food too, who has the bigger portion, how many of something can each person have..   I'm hoping that if I can be calm about it it'll improve, but boy do I get frustrated still at meal times.

by on Apr. 7, 2014 at 1:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JCKitten87
by Member on Apr. 7, 2014 at 1:06 PM
How old is she? I have to remind dd not to set the glass on the edge & some foods she struggles with using a fork still, but overall she's not bad. If it's not messy I don't mind her using her hands. She loves green beans but can't get them with a fork when they aren't piled together, but she also has problems with her fine motor skills
shajdinyak
by on Apr. 7, 2014 at 1:08 PM
This is my dd! Definitely sensory issues I believe. We sound alike, very frustrating and embarrassed. I am worried kids will say stuff as she gets older. She is in kindergarten now.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
flowrsgalore
by Member on Apr. 7, 2014 at 1:12 PM

almost 6.  

Quoting JCKitten87: How old is she? I have to remind dd not to set the glass on the edge & some foods she struggles with using a fork still, but overall she's not bad. If it's not messy I don't mind her using her hands. She loves green beans but can't get them with a fork when they aren't piled together, but she also has problems with her fine motor skills

2-point-doe
by Silver Member on Apr. 7, 2014 at 1:14 PM

DD was using everything properly by about 4 I guess. She is all about manners and following the rules.

flowrsgalore
by Member on Apr. 7, 2014 at 1:16 PM

I almost think a bit of embarrassment from other kids or a friend might be what she needs to get it. That it isn't cool to use your fingers to eat bits of meat or salad. I think she's hungry at meal time & using her fingers seems to be the quickest way. Then she forgets to use her napkin & uses her shirt, gah!

Quoting shajdinyak: This is my dd! Definitely sensory issues I believe. We sound alike, very frustrating and embarrassed. I am worried kids will say stuff as she gets older. She is in kindergarten now.

shajdinyak
by on Apr. 7, 2014 at 1:24 PM
OMGOSH! WE have the same child lol! How old is your daughter?

Quoting flowrsgalore:

I almost think a bit of embarrassment from other kids or a friend might be what she needs to get it. That it isn't cool to use your fingers to eat bits of meat or salad. I think she's hungry at meal time & using her fingers seems to be the quickest way. Then she forgets to use her napkin & uses her shirt, gah!

Quoting shajdinyak: This is my dd! Definitely sensory issues I believe. We sound alike, very frustrating and embarrassed. I am worried kids will say stuff as she gets older. She is in kindergarten now.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
shajdinyak
by on Apr. 7, 2014 at 1:25 PM
Just saw she is almost six! My dd will will be 6 in May. My dhs family gets so bothered by this. I guess I am so use to it and exhausted of it!

Quoting shajdinyak: OMGOSH! WE have the same child lol! How old is your daughter?

Quoting flowrsgalore:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wakymom
by Ruby Member on Apr. 7, 2014 at 1:31 PM

Mine were pretty good about using silverware instead of fingers by that age, for the most part. Dd is 8 and I still have to remind her sometimes that if she has trouble picking something up by stabbing it, to scoop under it instead of using her fingers. I'm constantly reminding both her and her brothers to use their napkin, not their sleeve, or, in ds1's case, licking his fingers (the boys are 10 and 15).

Ds2 and dd still put their glass too close to the edge sometimes. They are just more focused on their food and talking than exactly where the glass is placed.

Some of your dd's issues are just part of the age and what they do/don't pay attention to. Just keep reminding her and she'll eventually get it.

CarlysMommy1
by Bronze Member on Apr. 7, 2014 at 1:35 PM

So glad to know I'm not the only one dealing with this.  We occasionally have issues with silverware, but our main issue is with getting DD to use her napkin.  She's getting better, very, very slowly, but we still have to remind her all the time to wipe her mouth with her napkin, not her hands or arm.  It seems like she's always got food smeared across her face from wiping her mouth with her hand.  Then, whatever's left on her hand gets wiped on her clothes.  Ugh!

As far as silverware go, our biggest problem right now is that sometimes we catch her chewing on her fork.  WTH???  I've never seen her chewing on it really hard, but I'm still scared she's going to ruin her teeth.

DD used to be really bad about setting her cup too close to the edge of the table and knocking it over too, but that doesn't happen very often anymore.  Sometimes she would knock a cup over 2 or 3 times in one sitting.  I still don't allow her to take drinks out of the kitchen unless the cups have lids on them.  I really should have DH use cups with lids too because he's always spilling his drink.  lol

meam4444
by on Apr. 7, 2014 at 2:13 PM

I find they learn it by four, but it is a constant reminder though re table manners.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN