Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

ADHD and my daughter!

Posted by on Apr. 10, 2014 at 2:53 PM
  • 12 Replies

Hi I am Becky, My 6 year old daughter is in Kindergarten she was put on ADHD medication about 5-6 months ago, she was put on adderall and it has been upped several times.  It seemed to be working very well until recently, knowing the doctor said that he didn't want to up it anymore that mostly her problem at school wasn't all her.  (<- another story)  Her teacher called me up today and told me that she was back talking refusing to come in at recess, stomping her feet, hitting the desk.. etc...  I have tried everything here, setting her down and talking with her, taking favorite activities away, not allowing her to go to grandmas, time out, etc...  and at home shes great...  at school though shes having this problem..  I do treat her specially just  because 1 shes me only child, and 2 at 5 months old she had seizures which affected her brain.  If you have any insight about this and have any advice it would be well appreciated.

by on Apr. 10, 2014 at 2:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
wakymom
by Ruby Member on Apr. 10, 2014 at 2:57 PM
1 mom liked this

Some kids benefit from therapy as well as meds. A behavioral therapist may be able to help her learn how to cope w/ feelings at school and give her alternatives to acting out.

BDS
by New Member on Apr. 10, 2014 at 3:45 PM

I have contacted her therapist to see if there is anything she can recommend..  Thanks!

la_bella_vita
by Bella on Apr. 10, 2014 at 5:02 PM

I agree with the therapist suggestion, good luck! 

withsecond
by on Apr. 10, 2014 at 5:25 PM

I agree with seeing a therapist. Try a behavioral therapist. 

soymujer
by Mikki on Apr. 11, 2014 at 8:18 PM

My pedi not only prescribed the meds but is working with us on behavior as well.  You may check ito this.

Quoting wakymom:

Some kids benefit from therapy as well as meds. A behavioral therapist may be able to help her learn how to cope w/ feelings at school and give her alternatives to acting out.

family in the van   Mom of four

geekymom08
by Member on Apr. 11, 2014 at 8:35 PM
I would try therapy or a different medication. Sometimes switching to a different medicine will help with this. I have seen one medicine make someone angry, a different make the same person depressed, while a third worked.
funny_girl3
by on Apr. 11, 2014 at 9:15 PM

My son is in therapy as well as on meds.

ck8204
by Candie on Apr. 11, 2014 at 9:45 PM
Impulse control can be hard for ADHD kids, and changes in routine or moving from task to task can be especially difficult. I would work very closely with you daughter's pediatrician and see of you can get her in to see a child psychologist that specializes in childhood ADHD. My son went through 8 different medications at varrying doses and 3 different specalists over 3 years before we found the right combination that worked for him. Good luck.
BDS
by New Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 8:39 PM

catThanks to everyone that responded to my entry.  I have went to my daughters therapist and I have filled out the take home test about my daughter, waiting on reply from her about that.  God Bless!

Andrewsmom70
by Gold Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 9:08 PM

Have you asked the teacher to give her 5 minute warnings before having to transition from one activity to another and then maybe a 2 minute warning?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN