Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Spelling Words; How does your LO study?

Posted by on Apr. 10, 2014 at 8:51 PM
  • 25 Replies

I have found many different ways to help kids learn their spelling words. I was wondering which method you use or find most helpful to learn spelling.

Writing

Puzzles

Verbal (spelling out loud)

Trace, Copy, Recall

Sand writing

Plastic Magnetic letters

Banana Grams

Writing in white crayon and water color painting over it

Memory

Flash Cards

Rainbow Write

by on Apr. 10, 2014 at 8:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mckinneymom918
by Bronze Member on Apr. 10, 2014 at 8:54 PM
1 mom liked this
We do a combo of verbal and writing.
Jennyanne322
by Member on Apr. 10, 2014 at 8:58 PM
He has the same words all week. Monday he writes them 3 times, Tuesday is alphabetical order, Wednesday is sentences and Thursday is to study for the test Friday. We work on them a little each night. So by Thursday night it is from memory. I give him the paper and let him review them. Wait ten minutes and quiz him on them. Most of the time he gets one wrong and has to either restudy all of them and retest or write the owns he messed up on 5 times and retest. It works for us. He has had a 90 or 100 on every test this year.
DrDoofenshmirtz
by Silver Member on Apr. 10, 2014 at 9:21 PM

DD only gets words to practice AFTER the test.  She very rarely gets any wrong, so she works on challenge words that are not then re-tested.  They can pick from a variety of activities.  For her, writing them a few times seems to work for most words.

GwenMB
by Gwen on Apr. 10, 2014 at 10:00 PM

My sons' school uses the word study method.  It teaches kids to recognize & learn patterns in words (and which words are the oddballs).  One huge advantage to this method is that kids remember how to spell the words/patterns they've learned rather than forgetting the words as soon as they are tested on them on Friday.

M0M0F3B0YS82
by Bronze Member on Apr. 10, 2014 at 10:04 PM
Monday we write them 5 times, Tuesday we do flash cards (sometimes he has definitions with them), Wednesday review Thursday is testing and he has to wrte the wrong ones 5xs
kaylasmom22
by Bronze Member on Apr. 10, 2014 at 10:11 PM
I don't know how dd does it, because they get the words Monday and by the end the day she knows them already. I know the teacher reinforces the words throughout the week but I don't study with her cause she knows them. I study the vocabulary words though
liss05
by Bronze Member on Apr. 10, 2014 at 10:17 PM

We practice verbally at home but the teacher goes over them a few different ways at school through the week before the test on Friday.

erinj
by New Member on Apr. 11, 2014 at 12:15 AM
This is what my kids school does too.

Quoting GwenMB:

My sons' school uses the word study method.  It teaches kids to recognize & learn patterns in words (and which words are the oddballs).  One huge advantage to this method is that kids remember how to spell the words/patterns they've learned rather than forgetting the words as soon as they are tested on them on Friday.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Luvmy2babies22
by Member on Apr. 11, 2014 at 1:04 AM
We haven't really had to at this point. I've done a few from his required list via writing on a white board to verbal.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
waytomanykids10
by Bronze Member on Apr. 11, 2014 at 3:59 AM

We use writing, verbal, flashcards. It all just depends on the child. A few of my kids can just look at a word, spell it out loud and they have it. My 10yods, 7yods and 11yo ds get new words every Monday and Wednesday. My 8yo dd and 6yo dd get new words every Monday. My other 8yo dd gets  new words every other Monday

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)