Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

are you kidding me

Posted by on Apr. 11, 2014 at 7:54 AM
  • 95 Replies

so my dd this morning said the ereason she has to wear skirts and her heels (theyare really tiny heels, about an inch, if that) is beccause there is another girl in another class, that wears them and everyone thinks this girl is prettier then my dd......

we have been telling her that not to worry other students think, me, daddy, meme, nanny, grammie, and everyone else in our family think that she is pretty. 

and she is in modeling school, and the director, teacher, and photographer have said she is dressed pretty cute, and is adorable. 

i seriously can't believe this is starting right now 

by on Apr. 11, 2014 at 7:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Txlisa7969
by Bronze Member on Apr. 11, 2014 at 8:05 AM
1 mom liked this

I have two older DDs (14 and 16) and they were in 1st grade when they started taking an active interest in what they wore and what other girls were wearing.  I am SO thankful my youngest is a boy lol.  He is in 1st grade now and could care less what he wears as long as it's clothes and doesn't have itchy tags.  If he could get away with it, he would probably wear his pj pants, a tshirt and his flip flops to school.  I would say she may be more hyper aware too since she is in modeling school which does tend to emphasize physical appearances.  Just a thought.

ABCMomma0211
by on Apr. 11, 2014 at 8:09 AM

the modeling school that s he attends doesn't focus on that at all....it focuses on fself esteem.

Quoting Txlisa7969:

I have two older DDs (14 and 16) and they were in 1st grade when they started taking an active interest in what they wore and what other girls were wearing.  I am SO thankful my youngest is a boy lol.  He is in 1st grade now and could care less what he wears as long as it's clothes and doesn't have itchy tags.  If he could get away with it, he would probably wear his pj pants, a tshirt and his flip flops to school.  I would say she may be more hyper aware too since she is in modeling school which does tend to emphasize physical appearances.  Just a thought.

jatctt
by New Member on Apr. 11, 2014 at 8:09 AM
8 moms liked this
You are surprised that she is focused on physical appearance yet you have her in modeling school?
I went to one of those "modeling schools" when I was young and they definitely didn't cultivate or focus on one's inner beauty.
wakymom
by Ruby Member on Apr. 11, 2014 at 8:27 AM
1 mom liked this

At the risk of sounding snarky, you can't have your dd in a modeling school and not expect this to happen at a young age. No matter what family tells her, no matter what the adults at school tell her, she is going to listen to what the kids say and internalize that.

My suggestion is to either surround her w/ friends outside of school who do not care about how she looks and will focus on how friendly/fun/etc she is, or pull her out of the school. It doesn't matter if the school's philosophy does not focus on outer beauty- if it's a modeling school, the kids will, and that can cause a lot of damage in the long run.

Roo1234
by Bronze Member on Apr. 11, 2014 at 8:35 AM
4 moms liked this
I would have a frank discussion about the fact that there are always people more than us and less than us. It isn't our job to compete with them.rOur job is to be the best individual we are capable of being. We accomplish that by our choices and our actions. It is good to look nice and presentable, but it should never take more of our attention than our efforts to be kind, studious, helpful, and hardworking. I would also explain that"store bought"pretty (worrying about the clothes we wear) isn't a real pretty, it is superficial and transient.

mjande4
by Platinum Member on Apr. 11, 2014 at 8:36 AM
1 mom liked this

I have to agree with all of this.  I read the OP and seriously thought WTH!?  Find an activity/sport that does not focus on what you look like, rather how good you are at said activity.

Quoting wakymom:

At the risk of sounding snarky, you can't have your dd in a modeling school and not expect this to happen at a young age. No matter what family tells her, no matter what the adults at school tell her, she is going to listen to what the kids say and internalize that.

My suggestion is to either surround her w/ friends outside of school who do not care about how she looks and will focus on how friendly/fun/etc she is, or pull her out of the school. It doesn't matter if the school's philosophy does not focus on outer beauty- if it's a modeling school, the kids will, and that can cause a lot of damage in the long run.

mommy053008
by Maria on Apr. 11, 2014 at 9:15 AM

she's in modeling school? yea that would be the problem! 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
ABCMomma0211
by on Apr. 11, 2014 at 9:19 AM
Because she wants to be!!!!!

Thats the only reasoning.

And no they dont focus on looks at all.

Quoting mommy053008:

she's in modeling school? yea that would be the problem! 

BeachLifeMama
by Bronze Member on Apr. 11, 2014 at 9:20 AM
Thank goodness my dd wears uniform.
ABCMomma0211
by on Apr. 11, 2014 at 9:22 AM
Its so absurd...

But this other girl gets her attitude from her mom, they are snobs and think they are better then everyone

Quoting BeachLifeMama: Thank goodness my dd wears uniform.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)