Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Would you cancel your child's Birthday party?

Posted by on Apr. 11, 2014 at 8:48 AM
  • 46 Replies
1 mom liked this

My DS has his 6th Birthday party tomorrow.  I have been planning it for a long time.  However, DS's attitude has been very stinky and he has been throwing temper tantrums daily and refusing to get ready for school.  DH is threatening to cancel the party last minute which puts major stress on me.  I don't want to cancel the party.  Can a child not deserve a Birthday?  There has to be another way. :(

A little background.  Poor DS has been struggling with itchy skin issues since the weather got cold this year and a major part of his attitude is itchy ouchy skin that nothing seems to help.  You would be crabby too. 

by on Apr. 11, 2014 at 8:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
gregheather
by Member on Apr. 11, 2014 at 8:53 AM

I wouldn't take away the party but he wouldn't be getting any of his presents until he earned them back.

dawncs
by Member on Apr. 11, 2014 at 8:55 AM
1 mom liked this

I would not cancel the birthday party at all if you had paid a lot of money into it, and it was nonrefundable. However, it does not mean that he gets to enjoy his birthday presents right away.

mjande4
by Platinum Member on Apr. 11, 2014 at 8:57 AM
6 moms liked this

Actually, in my opinion, "taking away the party" isn't the problem, threatening to and NOT is a problem.  When you discipline children you have to be consistent.  If that's the consequence, then you as a united front, must stick to it.  It sounds like you and your husband need to revisit your parenting techniques so that you are on the same page or this behavior will just continue and escalate.

cheetah90210
by Member on Apr. 11, 2014 at 8:59 AM
This. although I understand understand how dh is feeling though. Maybe if he was older like a teen and was refusing to obey us then yeah I'd cancel in a heart beat but he is six hell feel bad when he can't open a single gift until earned and just tell him why your doing so.

Quoting gregheather:

I wouldn't take away the party but he wouldn't be getting any of his presents until he earned them back.

mommy053008
by Maria on Apr. 11, 2014 at 9:03 AM
You and your husband need to talk about an appropriate punishment we would never take away yla young childs party and my girls birthdays are both in may. I would think of another punishment.
Luvmykidlets
by Member on Apr. 11, 2014 at 9:04 AM

Which is why I want the party to go on.  I want DH to stop the threats.  I don't make threats, I just take things away.  I could parent better alone, I swear.  We (DH and I) absolutely do need to get on the same page.

Quoting mjande4:

Actually, in my opinion, "taking away the party" isn't the problem, threatening to and NOT is a problem.  When you discipline children you have to be consistent.  If that's the consequence, then you as a united front, must stick to it.  It sounds like you and yoour husband need to revisit your parenting techniques so that you are on the same page or this behavior will just continue and escalate.

rmfanfgljf
by Member on Apr. 11, 2014 at 9:10 AM

I am facing the problem with my oldest dd, she will be 9 on Sunday, and she has had a bad attitude for awhile. She also has a language disability so she doesn't understand how to express her feeling in other ways than to lash out, but I decided earlier this week that I will spend some time with my oldest dd doing yoga, in that time we can talk, and such and she will get my undivided attention, then my youngest dd will do some cardio with me and we can talk, once again undivided............I strongly believe that her behaviour is a cry for more attention. But I don't believe that taking away a birthday party will help the behaviour.

the3Rs
by Bronze Member on Apr. 11, 2014 at 9:10 AM
I would never take away a birthday party as punishment.
BeachLifeMama
by Bronze Member on Apr. 11, 2014 at 9:23 AM
Agree

Quoting the3Rs: I would never take away a birthday party as punishment.
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Apr. 11, 2014 at 10:29 AM
1 mom liked this

About his itchy skin - has he seen a doctor about it?  It could very well be an allergy that is made worse by the cold try weather in the winter.  A doctor could help determine what is causing the itchiness and ultimately resolve the issues with our son being miserable.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN