Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

What's a good code word?

Posted by on Apr. 14, 2014 at 2:21 PM
  • 42 Replies

Parents talk about giving their child a code word that someone needs to give them if they are picking the child up from someplace - esp if its an unplanned pick up.  I'm realizing that I need to give my boys (ages 7 & 5) a code word - there are reports of strangers trying to pick up kids by saying their parents sent them to get the child in my area. (I also need to make sure they remember not to go with strangers.)

It needs to be something that your child (and you) will remember - but not something that someone else could guess.  What are some ideas for good code words?

by on Apr. 14, 2014 at 2:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommaFruFru
by Gold Member on Apr. 14, 2014 at 2:23 PM
My friend uses her maiden name.
mommy053008
by Maria on Apr. 14, 2014 at 2:26 PM
We have ours but I can't tell you :-) that'd defeat the purpose but you could use a pets name, favorite food, maiden name, first crushes name, a name you would've used for your child had they been a different gender. Etc.
GwenMB
by Gwen on Apr. 14, 2014 at 2:28 PM

That's a good idea! I was contemplating my mom's maiden name & then started wondering if family names were a good idea.  But, someone pick up my child only has 1 guess - after that, they're found out.

Quoting mommaFruFru: My friend uses her maiden name.

GwenMB
by Gwen on Apr. 14, 2014 at 2:30 PM

I would hope it fairly obvious that I don't want your specific code word - even though I have no idea who your child is so couldn't use it. :)

I'm just looking for ideas, something my child would remember - and likely thinking about it too much.

Quoting mommy053008: We have ours but I can't tell you :-) that'd defeat the purpose but you could use a pets name, favorite food, maiden name, first crushes name, a name you would've used for your child had they been a different gender. Etc.

geekymom08
by Member on Apr. 14, 2014 at 2:39 PM
You could use almost anything! I would use a word that has to do with one of their interests! For example... If your kid likes animals, pick something cool like Platypus! I'm sure your kids like 500 different animals and can agree on a code word.
cupcake_mom
by Bronze Member on Apr. 14, 2014 at 2:43 PM
1 mom liked this
When I was a kid we used pancakes lol
M4LG5
by Gold Member on Apr. 14, 2014 at 2:44 PM

I told my girls that if someone (family member, friend, or nobody they know) says they are there to pick them up but I didn't tell them ahead of time, they are expected to call me before they leave with that person. 

If I told them ahead of time, then of course they can leave with only that person. 

STVUstudent
by Bronze Member on Apr. 14, 2014 at 2:46 PM
3 moms liked this
For boys? Pink underpants. They will think it is so funny, they will not forget.
mommy053008
by Maria on Apr. 14, 2014 at 2:46 PM
True but someone on this site may know me and use my code word I gave you a list of examples.

Quoting GwenMB:

I would hope it fairly obvious that I don't want your specific code word - even though I have no idea who your child is so couldn't use it. :)

I'm just looking for ideas, something my child would remember - and likely thinking about it too much.

Quoting mommy053008: We have ours but I can't tell you :-) that'd defeat the purpose but you could use a pets name, favorite food, maiden name, first crushes name, a name you would've used for your child had they been a different gender. Etc.

mommaFruFru
by Gold Member on Apr. 14, 2014 at 2:48 PM
This os what we plan to do.

I can only imagine the words my boys would .pick!

Quoting geekymom08: You could use almost anything! I would use a word that has to do with one of their interests! For example... If your kid likes animals, pick something cool like Platypus! I'm sure your kids like 500 different animals and can agree on a code word.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN