Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Have you ever kept your child from going on a field trip?

Posted by on Apr. 15, 2014 at 12:55 AM
  • 85 Replies
My dd 7 has one coming up and it's 45 mins away. They'll be there all day. I cannot go this time. So much is happening lately in my area involving children and danger I just don't feel comfortable letting her go. Should I keep her home? Or does the school place her in a different class for the day? I don't usually pull her out if school because if affects her attendence.

by on Apr. 15, 2014 at 12:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bluelola
by Member on Apr. 15, 2014 at 1:10 AM

I have gone on lots of school field trips, but some I have not been able to go on because I couldn't change my work schedule.  What's happening where you live that you are afraid to send your child?  If it's really bad and you are not comfortable, don't send her.  The teachers and volunteers are fully equipped to take care of the kids, but it sounds like something is going on there??

LovlyRita
by Bronze Member on Apr. 15, 2014 at 1:16 AM
3 moms liked this
Don't let your fears hinder your child. I knew the twin killed in the Northern California bus crash. I would still send my daughter on a field trip. You can't predict what will happen, life is a gamble.
diaperstodating
by Queen24Princes on Apr. 15, 2014 at 1:23 AM
No.
Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Apr. 15, 2014 at 1:52 AM
4 moms liked this
I would never hold my kids back from life experiences because of fear of 1 in thousands of chances of something going wrong.

Most accidents happen within one mile of your home and cars are hundreds of.times more dangerous than most other forms of transportation.
frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Apr. 15, 2014 at 4:34 AM

I would let her go.  What is the location of field trip?

cybcm
by Member on Apr. 15, 2014 at 4:41 AM
No. Only one off the top of my head that any of my 5 kids didn't attend was when my oldest son missed going to a wildlife sanctuary because he had his appendix out two days prior. That one couldn't be helped.

I rarely go with the class anyway. I do reading groups every year, so it's only fair to let other parents have a turn.
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Apr. 15, 2014 at 7:22 AM
2 moms liked this

My boys have never missed a field trip, the oldest is in 7th grade.  I have never been on a field trip with my 4th grader and have only gone on 3 with my 7th grader.  I don't let my fears keep my children from doing something.  There were 20 students stabbed at a school near me, yet I still send my kids to school every day.  You can't protect your children from everything and living in a bubble isn't healthy for them or you.

As I've said in the past, not every parent gets to attend the field trips at our school.  Three - four parents are chosen to be chaperones, all other parents aren't permitted to attend.  The children are divided up into groups and each parent is responsible for 4-5 students, her own child normally isn't in her group even.  We've never had an incident where a child was lost or any other type of accident happen on a field trip.

wakymom
by Ruby Member on Apr. 15, 2014 at 7:27 AM

The only time my kids have missed a field trip is if they were sick. The farthest one they've been on was 30 mins away, and dd went w/o me on that in 1st gr.

You'll have to ask the school where she will spend the day if she does not go on the trip, but does not stay home.

mommy053008
by Maria on Apr. 15, 2014 at 7:27 AM
My kindergartners first field trip was last week and I didn't go on it I have my own classroom to teach :-)
coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on Apr. 15, 2014 at 7:28 AM
No. In fact DD's field trip is today at a museum in Philadelphia. Neither DH nor I are going, we weren't picked. Originally DH was going to meet the class there (we're members of the museum but the date was changed and now he can't). Tomorrow is DS's field trip to Washington, DC and we aren't going on that one either. Bad things happen everywhere, even when parents/adults are around but I don't let my fears run my life.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN