Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

A 1/2 Birthday party?

Posted by on Apr. 15, 2014 at 4:46 AM
  • 45 Replies

My DS was invited to a 1/2 birthday party, yes the child will be turning 5 1/2, it is a huge party that the parents are spending a lot of money on and yes presents are expected from the guest.

Honestly I really don't care, after all this is not my child and who am I to say how one is to raise their kids.

I just was surprised by the whole thing, is it common?  Or am I just the weird parent here?  Maybe because the child has a summer birthday IDK, I am sure I will let my kid go if he wants to, he is very shy and I am just trying to help bring him out of his shell lol

by on Apr. 15, 2014 at 4:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tamikadorch26
by on Apr. 15, 2014 at 5:33 AM

I never been to a 1/2 birthday with my kids but ok. I would go. 

ljmom24
by Bronze Member on Apr. 15, 2014 at 5:55 AM
We don't have half bday parties but I do reconginize it. Usually a special dinner of their choosing. It's corny but the kids like a second special day. Although they'd like it more if they got gifts ;)

I do have a summer baby and it's hard to do bday parties with school friends because it's peak vacation time but his half birthday falls just after the holidays so I'd never do it then.
Cherish77
by Bronze Member on Apr. 15, 2014 at 5:56 AM

My friend used to do that because her birthday was December 26th.  Idk but if my kids wanted to go, I would let them.

by on Apr. 15, 2014 at 5:57 AM
Maybe were having financial struggles during his real birthday and promised to make it up as a half bday. Or maybe a family crisis meant his real bday didn't get celebrated. Or maybe like you said because he ha a summer bday and feels left out. Or maybe they just really like to throw him bday parties lol.
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Apr. 15, 2014 at 7:16 AM
3 moms liked this

I've never heard of it or been to a half birthday party.  My oldest son's birthday is within days of Christmas and we celebrate his birthday in December on a weekend near his actual birthday just like we do for our child with an October birthday.

The fact that they expect gifts rubs me the wrong way.  Almost like they are greedy.  One should never expect anything from their guests and especially not on an occasion like a half birthday.

wakymom
by Ruby Member on Apr. 15, 2014 at 7:20 AM

I've actually heard of this before. Never been to one, and never had one, but have considered it b/c ds2's and dd's b-days are Jan 8th and 4th.

We ended up having ds2's 10th b-day party the week after his b-day and it worked out well. We'll probably do the same for dd's 10th in a couple yrs.

coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on Apr. 15, 2014 at 7:23 AM
If it's a summer baby, totally makes sense.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommy053008
by Maria on Apr. 15, 2014 at 7:25 AM
No I haven't heard of it either.
STVUstudent
by Bronze Member on Apr. 15, 2014 at 7:44 AM
3 moms liked this

Well, the idea that it is because the child has a summer birthday doesn't fly- 6 months from now would be October.  Personally, I think 1/2 birthdays are screwy gift grabs and I would not have a party like this, but hey, not my kid, not my party.  If my kids were invited and WANTED to go, I would let them go, but keeping in mind that a full birthday party may be 6 months in the future, I probably would not spend a whole lot on a gift.

One thing to consider, though... is a parent or significant adult in the child's life deploying?   THAT might be the reason for a 1/2 birthday, and that would kinda make sense.

cupcake_mom
by Bronze Member on Apr. 15, 2014 at 7:46 AM
My friend gives her son a half birthday at school because his birthday is during summer. But she brings in cupcakes and they sing
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)