Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Should schools have dress codes for parents

Posted by on Apr. 16, 2014 at 6:29 AM
  • 173 Replies
2 moms liked this
So interesting poll on my local news today. Guess a school in California wants to have a dress code for parents. Apparently many show up in baggy pants, short shorts and pjs and they feel it's counter productive to enforcing a dress code for kids if their parents are wearing inappropriate clothes.

I get the theory behind it. Better dressed kids at my kids school generally have better dressed parents and vice versa, I remember one day at drop off there was a mom who looked like she was coming from her job at a local gentlemens club and since it's a k-8 school there were some googgly eyed 8th graders and dads. And we have the dads with underwear showing or wearing tshirts with foul language on it. And of course the pj thing. But on the other hand as a mom who knows how stressful the morning routine can be there have been days if I'm not working and coming right home it's grab what's closest and get out the door especially on days I'm home with a sick kid trying to get the other to school or being sick myself.

Think they have a good point about wanting parents to set a good example of how you should dress in school but if you aren't actually going into the school we all have bad mornings. I may grab those sweats or pjs for morning drop off but would never for a parent night, confrence or if I'm volunteering. But then again could see the school turning parents away and losing that home school connection that is so important.

I was amused by one of the responses "no one tells me what to wear" I'm assuming that responder doesn't have a job or wos from home or is self employed because every company I worked for had a dress code.
by on Apr. 16, 2014 at 6:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MommyChance
by Member on Apr. 16, 2014 at 6:34 AM
8 moms liked this
I think it should be common sense and decency, however not everyone has that.
I don't know how a school would enforce that, without embarrassing the student or possibly alienating the parent.
disneymom2two
by Silver Member on Apr. 16, 2014 at 7:15 AM
7 moms liked this

I wish there was a dress code every time I see the parent at school that has "Feelin' lucky?" written across her butt.  Sorry but that's just skanky.

JulesFairy
by Silver Member on Apr. 16, 2014 at 7:18 AM
2 moms liked this
Our previous school had a dress code for field trips but they always worded it in such a way that it was a gentle reninder of expectations not a blatant pointing of fingers...
like... D2 is going on a field trip this Thursday to the nearby park to study animal habitats, students should wear light fabric shirts and closed toe shoes. Please remember they will be out there a long time so water bottles and sunscreen are a must. Parents if you wish to join your child on this field trip please model the way for your children by being prepared the same way. Look forward to seeing you there.

Something like that. But I also think an everyday one would only make parent involvement worse. My mom teaches and every year there are a handful of parents she never even sees.
liveforever
by Member on Apr. 16, 2014 at 7:23 AM

I think its sad that parents dont have enough common sense to dress properly at the school and school functions. If they did, this wouldnt even be an issue. 

There was a mom who showed up to a dance at the elementary schools dance night in a completely see through, very thin white shirt t-shirt, over a black bra. Seriously. Who thinks thats appropriate to wear around a bunch of little kids at a school??

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Apr. 16, 2014 at 7:28 AM
3 moms liked this

The parents who volunteer at our school all dress appropriately.  We do have one that doesn't always have a natural hair color, but she always dresses very nicely.

As far as a dress code for drop off/pick up, that is completely ridiculous since the parents aren't really spending any time at the school other than a few minutes to drop off/pick up their kid.

soymujer
by Mikki on Apr. 16, 2014 at 8:21 AM

I understand if the parents were volunteering and dressed in short shorts or something but to just pick up or drop of your kid, I wouldn't be for it.  There are times where I drop off my kids in my pjs because I'm sick and not going to school but have to drop them off and I'm sorry but I'm not going to shower and get dolled up just to drop them off and come home and go back to bed.

family in the van   Mom of four

rockinmomto2
by Bronze Member on Apr. 16, 2014 at 8:26 AM
3 moms liked this

I don't think that dress codes at all are appropriate, including for children. Most dress code violations are for girls whose shorts or dresses are "too short" or for wearing tank tops. I think that people inherently want to be appropriate in all situations, mostly due to social stigma, and that given the choice, they'll dress mostly within the parameters of a "dress code". Just like children who are unschooled are given the opportunity to do whatever they want, and usually within a few weeks, they WANT to learn. Reverse psychology. 

wakymom
by Ruby Member on Apr. 16, 2014 at 8:36 AM
2 moms liked this

If you are just dropping off/picking up your child (and do not have to go into the school to do so), I don't think a dress code is needed.

If you are volunteering or going to a school function, I can see how some could feel one is needed. It shouldn't be too hard to ask parents to follow the same dress code the students have to follow.

snowangel1979
by Bronze Member on Apr. 16, 2014 at 8:53 AM
2 moms liked this
For volunteers, yes

Drop off and pick ups, No. Unfortunately yea some parents don't have common sence but at the same time you can't exactly monitor everyone, every where. Next parents will be trying to have dress codes when going into a mall or public because their child may see someone with too short of shorts, ect. I would rather see a mom in p.j.'s then a child an hour late because mom didn't have time to get dressed.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wmmom06
by on Apr. 16, 2014 at 9:18 AM

I think pjs are fine as long as they are appropriate. At my sons school, parents don't even get out of the vehicle to drop off or pick up thier kid. The teachers on duty open the door for them.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)