Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Hey! That was very unsportsman like!

Posted by on Apr. 16, 2014 at 8:29 AM
  • 36 Replies

Welcome to the fun world of youth sports.  Not only do the kids learn the rules of the game, but also, team work, how to lose with dignity and win gracefully.  There is one lesson that I'm not sure is necessary though, unsportsman like conduct.  Unfortunately, it seems to be the coaches and parents who need the lessons on how to behave.

Have you witnesses, or been a part of, any coach or parent unsportsman like conduct? 

How did you use that as a teachable moment with your child?

by on Apr. 16, 2014 at 8:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
wakymom
by Ruby Member on Apr. 16, 2014 at 8:49 AM
3 moms liked this

One of the many reasons I'm glad my kids don't do organized sports.

Saw this on Facebook yesterday- every single youth sports field/arena needs one of these.

snowangel1979
by Bronze Member on Apr. 16, 2014 at 9:03 AM
DS had a bad experience with soccer.
The coaches son used to purposely hit DS with the ball all the time like throwing it directly into his chest or head and the coach would ignore it. The assistant coach would only put the good player in when the coach wasn't there. The parents were the worst. They would be screaming at the kids, bribing kids and screaming at kids that were not even theirs.
This was a kindergarten/1st grade team.

Unfortunately short term, it back fired on him because the team was fall and then they were also playing in the spring. We paid for fall and spring. Come spring so many kids dropped his team that they didn't have enough players. He called me bagging for DS to play. He didn't want to and I don't blame him.

Unfortunately he had such a bad experience, he still will not play team sports 5 years later.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mcginnisc
by Bronze Member on Apr. 16, 2014 at 9:26 AM

I'm so glad my girls aren't involved in organized sports. They have thrived in individual sports though. :-) 

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 

beadingmom17
by Bronze Member on Apr. 16, 2014 at 9:29 AM
Thankfully, we've had only good experiences with the sports my girls have played! We have never had crazy parents on our teams...complete luck, I guess!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Apr. 16, 2014 at 9:50 AM
1 mom liked this

I've seen that sign multiple times and think that it is amazing!

Quoting wakymom:

One of the many reasons I'm glad my kids don't do organized sports.

Saw this on Facebook yesterday- every single youth sports field/arena needs one of these.

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Apr. 16, 2014 at 9:55 AM

Sometimes it is worse in the individual sports.  My oldest son plays tennis and some of the parents are brutal on their kids.  I danced competitively for many years and you had to have a thick skin for sure.

Quoting mcginnisc:

I'm so glad my girls aren't involved in organized sports. They have thrived in individual sports though. :-) 

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Apr. 16, 2014 at 9:57 AM

Yes, you are very lucky.  I'm not sure why kids sports brings out the crazy in parents, but it sure does.  I heard on local radio about a bleacher clearing fight at a little league game between parents and coaches.  One parent ended up with a broken nose, the police were called, charges where filed . . . insanity!

Quoting beadingmom17: Thankfully, we've had only good experiences with the sports my girls have played! We have never had crazy parents on our teams...complete luck, I guess!

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Apr. 16, 2014 at 9:58 AM

I don't blame you son for not wanting to play on that team any longer.

Quoting snowangel1979: DS had a bad experience with soccer. The coaches son used to purposely hit DS with the ball all the time like throwing it directly into his chest or head and the coach would ignore it. The assistant coach would only put the good player in when the coach wasn't there. The parents were the worst. They would be screaming at the kids, bribing kids and screaming at kids that were not even theirs. This was a kindergarten/1st grade team. Unfortunately short term, it back fired on him because the team was fall and then they were also playing in the spring. We paid for fall and spring. Come spring so many kids dropped his team that they didn't have enough players. He called me bagging for DS to play. He didn't want to and I don't blame him. Unfortunately he had such a bad experience, he still will not play team sports 5 years later.

ABCMomma0211
by on Apr. 16, 2014 at 10:00 AM
I think its gross to be that intense.

Now to sit and cheer for the team go for it.

But to scream and yell thats absurd and gross.

But then again im the type of parent who, if you start something you are finishing it and you will do your damn best regardless if you dont wanna do that sport anymore
jamianne
by Silver Member on Apr. 16, 2014 at 10:07 AM

My kids haven't played any team sports yet.  I've heard some horror stories from friends whose children do play on teams.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN