Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Kindergarten/First-Grade Hours

SlightlyPerfect
It's about that time...
Yesterday at 2:13 PM
Posted by on Apr. 17, 2014 at 3:07 PM
  • 130 Replies

In any given day, how long was/is your kindergartner in school? What about your first graders? Like morning to evening... 7am to 2 pm? 9-4? Any extracurricular activities at that age?

What time would they leave? What time would they get home? (I have a reason for asking, which I'll probably elaborate on later.)

by on Apr. 17, 2014 at 3:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
GwenMB
by Gwen on Apr. 17, 2014 at 3:12 PM

My sons' school is half day K, so they are there 8 - 11:30. There aren't any extracurricular activities at this age, except they can go to Science Club (which is held once a month or so).

frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Apr. 17, 2014 at 3:14 PM

9am-3:35pm, wednesdays are early release for whole elem schools.   No extras in kindergarten, 1st grade she did a 5 week course (once a week) that had her getting out of school at 4:35pm

ambcortez
by Member on Apr. 17, 2014 at 3:15 PM

When DS was in PS, I would drop him off at 7:30 (or he'd catch the bus at 6:30) and I'd pick him up at 1:30 (or he would get dropped off at 2:30). No extracurriculars.

alexsmomma06
by Member on Apr. 17, 2014 at 3:15 PM
Same hours for kindergarten through 3rd grade here.
Mon-Friday 8:50am to 3:25pm.
kysmama08
by Member on Apr. 17, 2014 at 3:16 PM

Oldest dd is in kinder now. The bus picks her up at 8:20 and she gets home at 4:20. School is from 8:40-3:40

kysmama08
by Member on Apr. 17, 2014 at 3:16 PM

She also has swimming and dance/gymnastics once a week

Ashley0523
by Member on Apr. 17, 2014 at 3:18 PM

My son is in k5 and school for him starts at 7:25 and ends at 2:10.

ABCMomma0211
by on Apr. 17, 2014 at 3:19 PM

we leave my house at 810am, and pick her up between 310-315...she walks, her school is legit my back yard. 

nothing through the school. 

but i am trying to find things for her to do....she was in tumbling.....i contacted them, and they never got back to me.

SlightlyPerfect
It's about that time...
by Member on Apr. 17, 2014 at 3:20 PM

TFS! Did your son do well in his transition from half- to full-day?

DD is in half-day now. Public kindergarten is full-day where we are, though.

Here's my thing. I have to make a choice. Private school or public school. DD was assessed as advanced in reading and math last year, so we put her in a private kindergarten curriculum at the age of 4 (and she turned 5 in December). That went 9-12 M-F. Now I have to make a decision whether to put her--the girl who's almost completed a kindergarten curriculum and could do first-grade work--in private school again (same curriculum, just all-day work) or switch her to public (different curriculum and experience, all-day work).

Because of her age/birthday, she has to stay in kindergarten.

She's used to half days with a nap from 3-5. The public school would go like 9-4. That's so weird to me. When I was a kid, it was 7:30-2:30 (but I went to private school). Can a 5-year-old kid really handle that length of time? It seems so foreign to me.

Quoting GwenMB:

My sons' school is half day K, so they are there 8 - 11:30. There aren't any extracurricular activities at this age, except they can go to Science Club (which is held once a month or so).

SlightlyPerfect
It's about that time...
by Member on Apr. 17, 2014 at 3:21 PM

I talked to my friend last night, and her kid is going to start kindergarten with DD in September, and the bus comes at 8:45 and drops them off at 4:30 or something like that. That seems like such a long day to me!

Quoting kysmama08:

Oldest dd is in kinder now. The bus picks her up at 8:20 and she gets home at 4:20. School is from 8:40-3:40

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN