Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Helicopter parent

Posted by on Apr. 21, 2014 at 5:23 PM
  • 31 Replies
What do you mean by this?
by on Apr. 21, 2014 at 5:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mjande4
by Platinum Member on Apr. 21, 2014 at 5:25 PM
2 moms liked this

mom2jessnky
by Silver Member on Apr. 21, 2014 at 5:26 PM
5 moms liked this

Parents that hover over their children. Their children don't get hurt, don't fail, don't go anywhere alone, don't make decisions for themselves. They're basically treated like infants. Kids that never learn consequences to their actions.

M4LG5
by Gold Member on Apr. 21, 2014 at 5:31 PM

Quoting mom2jessnky:

Parents that hover over their children. Their children don't get hurt, don't fail, don't go anywhere alone, don't make decisions for themselves. They're basically treated like infants. Kids that never learn consequences to their actions.

And when their kids get to college, they are still hovering.  They are making their schedules for them, they come in asking all the questions while their child is distracted by the posters on the wall, they are asking people in the dorms who is going to wake up their child, make their beds, do their laundry, and make sure they go class.  And I'm not joking!  We see this here (I work at a college) at the beginning of the year. 

mom2jessnky
by Silver Member on Apr. 21, 2014 at 5:42 PM

Quoting M4LG5:

Quoting mom2jessnky:

And when their kids get to college, they are still hovering.  They are making their schedules for them, they come in asking all the questions while their child is distracted by the posters on the wall, they are asking people in the dorms who is going to wake up their child, make their beds, do their laundry, and make sure they go class.  And I'm not joking!  We see this here (I work at a college) at the beginning of the year. 

I'm amazed they're allowed to live in the dorms away from mommy and daddy.

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Apr. 21, 2014 at 6:24 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting mom2jessnky:

I think this is really the key. When parents won't allow their children to fail or struggle they stifle the development of vital skills. 

HaileysMom07180
by Bronze Member on Apr. 21, 2014 at 6:37 PM

yup, i'm so glad i'm not a helicopter mom.  dd is 7 and gets up on her own and is usually dressed and ready for the day before i even get out of bed.  she has a 7 day white board calendar that she made and every week she writes down what activities she has on what days, as well as we can write chores or other notes on it for her.  we never have to tell her what chores need to be done that day, she always does her own homework and thanks to the white board, no more reminding her of certain activities.  she thrives when we give her the tools to be independent and it makes me sad that the kids of helicopter parents are never given the opportunity for find out what kind of potential they really have.

Quoting M4LG5:

Quoting mom2jessnky:

MyNameIs-
by Member on Apr. 21, 2014 at 6:44 PM
5 moms liked this
I'm a satellite parent. I observe from a distance. But I'm watching!
ljmom24
by Silver Member on Apr. 21, 2014 at 6:51 PM
And when they are 30 they are still managing their finances

Quoting M4LG5:

Quoting mom2jessnky:

ljmom24
by Silver Member on Apr. 21, 2014 at 6:51 PM
And when they are 30 they are still managing their finances

Quoting M4LG5:

Quoting mom2jessnky:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)