Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

What is more important in reading fluency....

Posted by on Apr. 23, 2014 at 2:06 AM
  • 23 Replies
Spending more time reading new things or repeating things they have already read?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 23, 2014 at 2:06 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 2:08 AM
1 mom liked this

I was told repetition mixed with new materials.  Also a parent reading with or to the child helps.

JasonsMom2007
by Silver Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 2:10 AM
I think it's confidence at least it was for my son. Taking him back to very basic books built his confidence and he had no problems from there.
SlightlyPerfect
Yesterday at 10:16 PM
by Bronze Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 6:34 AM
For my 5-year-old DD, who can already read Level 1 (and several Level 2) books, I think it's an introduction to new material for the sake of phonics.

DH and I are avid readers, and we have read to her almost every day of her life. I'm finding her reading billboard signs now while sitting in the back of the car, reading graphics on the evening news... things like that.

But I agree with the PP. The child needs to have confidence, and that starts with repetition and then an introduction of new material, but I would argue it's all about method. Once the kid gets phonics, the content you can provide him/her broadens tremendously.
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 8:19 AM

Repition is very important in reading fluency. You want your child to be able to read the words and understand what they are reading.  Our school focuses on comprehension, not speed.

xtwistedxlovex
by Bronze Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 8:26 AM
As with speech, repetition will help them learn faster while variety will broaden their understanding over time.
coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 8:30 AM
Repetition. But also making sure they are reading the actual words on the page, not what they think is there based on their knowledge of the story.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wakymom
by Ruby Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 8:46 AM
1 mom liked this

I think both are equally important. They need repetition to build confidence and reinforce what they've learned, but they also need new material to make sure they are truly remembering/retaining what they've learned and not just repeating a story from memory.

Dodie702
by Doriane on Apr. 23, 2014 at 10:11 AM
This. :)

Quoting frndlyfn:

I was told repetition mixed with new materials.  Also a parent reading with or to the child helps.

Raeann11
by Bronze Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 12:08 PM

Repetition mixed with new materials.

waytomanykids10
by Bronze Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 12:25 PM
We have never read the same thing over and over and to our kids. They would be bored out of their minds if we read the same thing many times.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN