Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

She literally won't let me brush her hair...

Posted by on Apr. 23, 2014 at 6:47 PM
  • 88 Replies
We told her if she didn't stop screaming during it, she would get s very short cut-one almost as short as a boys, though of course not that style. It's very embarrassing when the windows are open and I'm sure the whole street can hear her.

Every day it gets worse, if that's even possible. It's so bad it's almost comical. Today, for the first time, she actually sank to her knees to get away from me. I have to hold her head against me to get the back or she moves too much.

Her hair is only shoulder length and is really constantly tangled on the sides, because she won't let me get them.

I try to start at the ends and work my way up. I'm so gentle now that I'm barely brushing. And she still screams. Sometimes I have to start at the top and just brush down, because her hands are in the way below where I like to start. It seems to just be a power struggle-not about hair brushing. I don't know what to do. She is 7 and only gets the top layer when she does it herself.

I can't let her suffer the consequences of not having brushed hair. It usually looks a mess even now. I'm too embarrassed for it to be worse, and I don't think she would care...

This is even embarrassing to write down. Any help?
by on Apr. 23, 2014 at 6:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 6:49 PM
3 moms liked this

Follow through and have her hair cut short.

Impressionists
by Bronze Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 6:51 PM
I think you're right. I just hate giving a girl hair that short.

Quoting steelcrazy:

momager2two
by Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 6:53 PM
Have you tried the moraccan argen oil? That helps so much with botha my girls hair! My odd has wavy hair and my ydd has super curly hair. It helps to get the knots out before you brush it, and keeps it healthy!
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 6:54 PM

Oh well.  Maybe having short hair will make her think twice about pitching a fit over brushing her hair.  Threatening to cut it and never following through is only teaching her that you don't mean what you say.  Is that really a lesson that you want to be teaching her?  Do you want her to think that it is ok to pitch a fit and scream and there are no consequences?  Think about the message that you are sending and the problems that it will create down the road.

Quoting Impressionists: I think you're right. I just hate giving a girl hair that short.
Quoting steelcrazy:

tinaleigh
by Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 6:54 PM
1 mom liked this
I would do exactly what you said you were going to. When i was little I would fight my mom to brush my hair so she got my hair cut into a pixie type of style until I was ready to take care of longer hair properly.
Impressionists
by Bronze Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 6:57 PM
Has anyone heard of a stacked bob? lol

I just made an appt with cookie cutters. There is supposed to be a woman there tomorrow night who is really good at them, and I've been assured it's short.
Impressionists
by Bronze Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 6:59 PM
I just googled it. It doesn't solve the side problem. I think we have to go with bangs.

Quoting Impressionists: Has anyone heard of a stacked bob? lol

I just made an appt with cookie cutters. There is supposed to be a woman there tomorrow night who is really good at them, and I've been assured it's short.
Impressionists
by Bronze Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 7:00 PM
Thanks moms.
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 7:00 PM

Quoting Impressionists: Has anyone heard of a stacked bob? lol I just made an appt with cookie cutters. There is supposed to be a woman there tomorrow night who is really good at them, and I've been assured it's short.

Impressionists
by Bronze Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 7:05 PM
She needs it much shorter.

Quoting steelcrazy:

Quoting Impressionists: Has anyone heard of a stacked bob? lol I just made an appt with cookie cutters. There is supposed to be a woman there tomorrow night who is really good at them, and I've been assured it's short.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)