Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

carnival birthday party

Posted by on Apr. 23, 2014 at 7:32 PM
  • 7 Replies
I am having my daughters 8th birthday on Sunday. She wanted to have a carnival theme. We will have a popcorn maker, cotton candy, a candy table, photo booth with clown props and face painting. I want to have a few carnival games but I don't want to have to but tons of prizes as we have a lot of kids in our family ages ranging from 3 to 15. So I am undecided what I should do. Or should I just have the games for fun. They will be able to fill goody bags with candy from the candy table but should I have prizes to. I feel like I am already spending a lot and my husband said we don't need prizes. Any thoughts
by on Apr. 23, 2014 at 7:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 7:37 PM
1 mom liked this

You don't need prizes.  I've never given a treat/goody bag at a birthday party yet.  The kids keep coming to my parties and I've yet to hear a complaint, my oldest is a teen.  Not to mention, I don't know a mom who likes those cheap, cheesy, plastic prizes that you can get in large quantities.

_Meg_
by Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 8:09 PM

If you have a Dollar Tree or other dollar store near you (or Target's dollar section), you can get cheap little prizes from there. Or just have the games for fun. My cousin had a carnival party for their daughter's 4th birthday and it was super cute. They had some carnival-type games and gave out a choice of either 1 piece of candy or 1 dollar-store prize as prizes. 

As a mom, I actually hate those cheap cheesy carnival prizes, the kids only play with them for a short time and then they're over it...BUT it's just for fun and I throw out the stuff anyway after they're done with it.

What you COULD do is hand out tickets as a prize...then at the end of the games, randomly choose a couple tickets and have them win a prize that way. Then you'd only have to get a few prizes.  

Libra113
by Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 8:19 PM
Good idea. Thank you. I was also thinking if them winning tickets for the games and then having ba prize table. Like you do at an arcade. But use candy pencils etc things they can actually use. Or maybe I will just have them do them for fun since they will have cotton candy popcorn and a candy table. Undecided lol

Quoting _Meg_:

If you have a Dollar Tree or other dollar store near you (or Target's dollar section), you can get cheap little prizes from there. Or just have the games for fun. My cousin had a carnival party for their daughter's 4th birthday and it was super cute. They had some carnival-type games and gave out a choice of either 1 piece of candy or 1 dollar-store prize as prizes. 

As a mom, I actually hate those cheap cheesy carnival prizes, the kids only play with them for a short time and then they're over it...BUT it's just for fun and I throw out the stuff anyway after they're done with it.

What you COULD do is hand out tickets as a prize...then at the end of the games, randomly choose a couple tickets and have them win a prize that way. Then you'd only have to get a few prizes.  

Impressionists
by Bronze Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 8:40 PM
1 mom liked this
At the last birthday party my daughter went to, the mom wasn't into candy or chintzy toys. She bought a pack of very inexpensive, very small notebooks (you can probably buy them 10/$1 at the dollar tree). Then she passed out foam stickers (very cheap) - just 4 or 5 to each kid. My daughter headed straight to a table and asked for a pen. She recently picked it up and drew on the few remaining pages. You could have something like that just for trying at a game. I think it would be nice to have a prize or two. Dollar tree gifts can get very expensive quickly if you're on a budget.
_Meg_
by Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 10:36 PM
1 mom liked this

Oh the prize table is a cute idea too! Whatever you choose, it sounds like it's going to be super fun anyway! Carnival birthday parties are a blast!

Quoting Libra113: Good idea. Thank you. I was also thinking if them winning tickets for the games and then having ba prize table. Like you do at an arcade. But use candy pencils etc things they can actually use. Or maybe I will just have them do them for fun since they will have cotton candy popcorn and a candy table. Undecided lol
Quoting _Meg_:

ABCMomma0211
by on Apr. 23, 2014 at 10:41 PM
1 mom liked this
Since there is going to be a candy table i dont think prizes are needed. Unless you do something along the lines of "if you have such and such tickets you can get this." And make them semi decent prizes.

But since there is a candy table then you dont need prizes.

I think not giving goody bags or favors is mean...
ck8204
by Candie on Apr. 23, 2014 at 10:54 PM
1 mom liked this
My son's school uses a stamp card at their family days. They go to different booths and do activities or play games and they get a stamp on their card. If they fill their card they get a prize. They need 10 stamps for 15-20 booths, fewer stamps if there are fewer booths. The prizes range from coloring/activity books to marker sets, slap braclets, toy cars, and bubble gum. It reminds me of the way Chuck E Cheese does their prize counters. It might help your budget if you don't have to give a prize at each game.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)