Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Mom, my tummy hurts! *update

Posted by on Apr. 24, 2014 at 9:51 PM
  • 34 Replies

So I'm having this problem with my dd (6) for the last year or so a couple of times a month she complains of her tummy hurting. It usually happens while she's eating dinner. I used to think this was a way to get out of eating dinner or she just needed to poop. But the more it happens the more concerned i get. It's not the food i'm serving. it's not constipation. but wth could it be? has anyone else had this problem with their kids?

So last night dd woke up with tummy pain at her umbilical area. She ended up vomiting from the pain. I called the dr. This morning and have an appointment and xray scheduled. I told dh about this and he seems to think it doesn't require a doctor visit. He says "it's not like it's ongoing" I told him "um yes it is. It might be intermittent, but it's ongoing none the less" I'm very frustrated right now.
by on Apr. 24, 2014 at 9:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hautemama83
by Member on Apr. 24, 2014 at 10:01 PM
1 mom liked this
Is she full? Ds (5) often says that too and it's always after hes eaten or drank a lot.
punkomama08
by on Apr. 24, 2014 at 10:03 PM

mm... i doubt it. she usually just tells me she's full. Sometimes this pain happens after just a few bites. and for example, tonight they didn't have snacks after 4 and i didn't get dinner on the table til 6:30 so she should be plenty hungry.

Quoting hautemama83: Is she full? Ds (5) often says that too and it's always after hes eaten or drank a lot.

PinkButterfly66
by on Apr. 24, 2014 at 10:08 PM

Something bothering her at school and causing anxiety?  

hautemama83
by Member on Apr. 24, 2014 at 10:10 PM
Strange. It's possible she's sensitive to certain food items, but I'm guessing you already covered that. You could ask her ped what s/he thinks.

Quoting punkomama08:

mm... i doubt it. she usually just tells me she's full. Sometimes this pain happens after just a few bites. and for example, tonight they didn't have snacks after 4 and i didn't get dinner on the table til 6:30 so she should be plenty hungry.

Quoting hautemama83: Is she full? Ds (5) often says that too and it's always after hes eaten or drank a lot.

coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on Apr. 24, 2014 at 10:18 PM
Keep a record of what she's eating when she complaining. It could be a new sensitivity or it could be anxiety or a control issue.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
punkomama08
by on Apr. 24, 2014 at 10:40 PM
That's a good idea. Anxiety isn't one I thought of. As for control, I let the kids decide what we are having. We have had struggles in the past with food so to make it easier in everyone they get to pick two things they really like.

Quoting coolmommy2x: Keep a record of what she's eating when she complaining. It could be a new sensitivity or it could be anxiety or a control issue.
STVUstudent
by Bronze Member on Apr. 24, 2014 at 10:56 PM

my son, age 6, also has this problem a lot.  The ped suggested giving him a tums before dinner- it really seems to help.  He had acid reflux as a baby...

punkomama08
by on Apr. 24, 2014 at 11:00 PM
Really? So did my dd, it was due to a milk allergy tho. Maybe I'll try that

Quoting STVUstudent:

my son, age 6, also has this problem a lot.  The ped suggested giving him a tums before dinner- it really seems to help.  He had acid reflux as a baby...

Starbucksbabe83
by New Member on Apr. 24, 2014 at 11:03 PM
My dd had the same complaints for about 6 months. I took her to the dr. They did bloodwork and ultrasounds and couldnt find anything wrong. It would get so bad she would wake up in pain in her sleep. And her stomach would pooch out and look like those children u see in "feed the children" ads. It was very frustrating, she eventually stopped complaining but it was very annoying not knowing what was wrong!

Quoting punkomama08:

So I'm having this problem with my dd (6) for the last year or so a couple of times a month she complains of her tummy hurting. It usually happens while she's eating dinner. I used to think this was a way to get out of eating dinner or she just needed to poop. But the more it happens the more concerned i get. It's not the food i'm serving. it's not constipation. but wth could it be? has anyone else had this problem with their kids?

mcrowley22
by New Member on Apr. 24, 2014 at 11:06 PM

DS6 does this. We found out he has a gluten allergy. Gluten is in EVERYTHING! Since I stopped feeding him anything with gluten in it ( very bland diet -_-) he has not complained. Maybe she has a food intolerance? 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)