Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

6 year old boy having some emotional issues

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2014 at 4:53 AM
  • 4 Replies

I need some advice. My 6 year old son has been acting out. We have a fairly large mixed family and I know life isnt always easy with having other siblings but he's been acting strange lately. He used to be too nice and would let everyone walk all over him just so he could be around them and feel included. I told him to not let the others take advantage and to stand up for himself and be an individual instead always following others. He did great for awhile, he finally found his own interests and was becoming his own person. Lately thou things are getting out of hand. He's getting extremely frustrated lately and will act out without warning. He'll either get angry or sad. It's gotten to where I believe there is an underlying problem and I may have figured it out but Im freaking out and Im really conserned because Im not sure what to do. I think that he's very sensitive and is feeling like he isnt being heard and is pretty co-dependant. I thinking that he doesnt understand that others cant tell whats wrong... Like he assumes they realize when they are doing something when they may have no clue. I explained to him that he needs to express to us how he feels because we may be unaware and not to get angry without us understanding why. I asked him to just let us know what it is so we can fix it. He seemed to understand better this way but I think he felt like I was attacking him. I reassured him that there was nothing wrong with him or his emotions just that he needs to let us know so we can do something different and that if we are not aware (mostly siblings) then the problem will not go away.. That we cant know what he's feeling all the time and for him to help us so we can help him. I really dont know what else to do. I feel completely lost and Im really not sure how to handle it. I told to just come to me anytime something is upsetting him and he is unsure how to approach it and I will help work it out so everyone involved understands and that if he gets angry and the other children are clueless as to why then they're not going to understand or want to play if they think he's just freaking out without justification. Any suggestions?

by on Apr. 25, 2014 at 4:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
fnpdocgrrl
by Member on Apr. 25, 2014 at 7:59 AM

What's the family situation at home exactly?  

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Apr. 25, 2014 at 8:26 AM

Children that young don't always understand how they are feeling or can't put their emotions into words.  My oldest dealt with similar issues at that age, seeing a therapist helped him learn coping skills.

Glitch84
by New Member on Apr. 25, 2014 at 10:29 AM

Im divorced, I had him and his older sister (8) and I'm engaged to someone who has a 6 yr old boy as well (little over half of each week), and then we share an 18 month old daughter. There is usually 6 of us and SO is in school finishing his bachelors and I work. It gets a little crazy but we try really hard to give them individual attention as much as possible. His father (and sister's) isnt around anymore.. They rarely see or hear from him so i know that plays a factor. I also have no family so they dont really see anyone but us. My SO's child gets to go with his mom and gmas and do fun things and he's the only child on that end so Im sure that hurts him too... Seeing something he doesnt have. It breaks my heart but I do all I can. My SO is amazing with them and he's helped to kind of fill the void alittle. I think he just feels left out. His sister is getting older and less interested as to be expected and so I try to make up for it when I can but it's so hard to keep up with everything. Im trying to give him a little more attention and 1 on 1 time to help figure out how to express himself without feeling down or angry... I just hoping Im going in the right direction. It's breaking my heart to see re-act that way. He's always been the sweetest kid and it's so out of character for him. I just want to find the root so I can help but Im not sure if he really knows so Im hoping it's a phase.

hautemama83
by Member on Apr. 25, 2014 at 12:30 PM
I think his behavior is relatively normal. At that age they are intuitive enough to know how they're feeling, but don't always know how to express what they want to say. That's where you come in. If you see he's upset, stressed, or angry sit him down and talk about why. Then have him address the situation. Having him address the person or situation, is probably the most important part of it all.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)