Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

dd throwing up regularly

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2014 at 8:26 AM
  • 44 Replies

When my dd, now 6, was about 3 she would throw up once in a while for no reason.  She would say her stomach hurt and then a minute later throw up.  At first it was pretty rare.  Over time it got worse.  She'll go weeks, maybe months without throwing up.  Then she'll go a couple weeks with throwing up once or twice a day.  Now it happens in the middle of the night.  Now it's usually bile.    

I've kept a food diary, but it's hard to keep up for many months at a time. The only connection I saw was dairy.  After getting a lot of dairy in her system for a few days in a row, she got crampy, had diarrhea, and would sometimes throw up.  Those symptoms are pretty much gone now.  The last week, I keep getting woken up hearing her throw up.  I run in there, she's already got her bucket.  I clean her up, she goes back to sleep.  And sleeps a long time.  And I keep her home from school the next day.

She has allergies.  Like a pretty constant runny nose.  She had allergy tests-skin pricks & blood work-done years ago.  Nothing notable then.  Dry, pale skin.  No fever.  No loss of appetite.  Once she's slept well she's back to her normal self.  What do I do?  Is it time to kind of demand blood tests?  Her pediatrician isn't super concerned b/c she's growing normally and doing well otherwise.  

Any advice?  Any experience with this?  Any ideas?

by on Apr. 25, 2014 at 8:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
WillsMOM72
by Bronze Member on Apr. 25, 2014 at 8:45 AM
Does she over eat causing her to throw up?
Homealonex2
by Bronze Member on Apr. 25, 2014 at 8:49 AM
Does her head hurt too? Could be a migraine my dd throws up with them. Then sleeps for hours.
mom2the.rescue
by Bronze Member on Apr. 25, 2014 at 8:50 AM

I don't think so.  This time it was about 4 this morning.  And it wasn't any undigested food at all.  I think it was bile.  It looked like yellowish brownish snot.  :(  I know, it sounds disgusting, but I just don't know what to do.  

Quoting WillsMOM72: Does she over eat causing her to throw up?

mommaFruFru
by Gold Member on Apr. 25, 2014 at 8:50 AM
is she having dirreah as well?

My middle child went through something similar, it started when he was 3, almost 4, but lasted fir about 18mo. At one point I rushed him to the ER, because he threw up in his sleep and wouldn't wake up.

He had 3 blood tests, stool samples, allergy tests. His pedi, the ER, and a stomach Dr found nothing.

His would come in waves at first. 3 weeks of throwing up every night. And a week or 2 off.

And at its worst ut was day and night, 3-4 times a day, and that lasted for 2 months.

What helped, finally, was finding the right balance if pure and pro biotics. It didn't stop.it all together at first, but it took about 2ish months to be completely vomit free :/
mom2the.rescue
by Bronze Member on Apr. 25, 2014 at 8:50 AM

She never complains of a headache.  I don't want to ask her for fear of causing one, ya know?

Quoting Homealonex2: Does her head hurt too? Could be a migraine my dd throws up with them. Then sleeps for hours.

mom2the.rescue
by Bronze Member on Apr. 25, 2014 at 8:51 AM

Like yogurt and supplements?  I have found yogurt doesn't affect her like other dairy.  She was having diarrhea when she had too much dairy.  But it doesn't seem to be connected to this weird throwing up.  There are no other symptoms with this.

Quoting mommaFruFru: is she having dirreah as well? My middle child went through something similar, it started when he was 3, almost 4, but lasted fir about 18mo. At one point I rushed him to the ER, because he threw up in his sleep and wouldn't wake up. He had 3 blood tests, stool samples, allergy tests. His pedi, the ER, and a stomach Dr found nothing. His would come in waves at first. 3 weeks of throwing up every night. And a week or 2 off. And at its worst ut was day and night, 3-4 times a day, and that lasted for 2 months. What helped, finally, was finding the right balance if pure and pro biotics. It didn't stop.it all together at first, but it took about 2ish months to be completely vomit free :/

mommaFruFru
by Gold Member on Apr. 25, 2014 at 8:54 AM
We did pure biotic a and pro biotic powders.

I think they make gummy chews too.

At the time we had to get a prescription for them.but I know they sell some Otc.

Quoting mom2the.rescue:

Like yogurt and supplements?  I have found yogurt doesn't affect her like other dairy.  She was having diarrhea when she had too much dairy.  But it doesn't seem to be connected to this weird throwing up.  There are no other symptoms with this.

Quoting mommaFruFru: is she having dirreah as well?

My middle child went through something similar, it started when he was 3, almost 4, but lasted fir about 18mo. At one point I rushed him to the ER, because he threw up in his sleep and wouldn't wake up.

He had 3 blood tests, stool samples, allergy tests. His pedi, the ER, and a stomach Dr found nothing.

His would come in waves at first. 3 weeks of throwing up every night. And a week or 2 off.

And at its worst ut was day and night, 3-4 times a day, and that lasted for 2 months.

What helped, finally, was finding the right balance if pure and pro biotics. It didn't stop.it all together at first, but it took about 2ish months to be completely vomit free :/

jaytee
by Jen on Apr. 25, 2014 at 8:59 AM
When did she have the allergy tests done?
mom2the.rescue
by Bronze Member on Apr. 25, 2014 at 8:59 AM

She was one.  

Quoting jaytee: When did she have the allergy tests done?

wakymom
by Ruby Member on Apr. 25, 2014 at 9:01 AM

It could be drainage. Ds2 will sometimes throw up in the morning when he's got a cold and I can tell by the color it's drainage. If you think it's drainage making her throw up at night, maybe try some Benadryl at bedtime to dry it up?

Dd had an intestinal bug a few weeks ago, and when she was over it, still complained of some stomach pain after eating. A kids chewable probiotic for a few days helped get things back to normal.

You could also try giving her Lactaid w/ her dairy to see if that helps. Some people who are lactose-intolerant don't always have an issue right away.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)