Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Total Disrespect......

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2014 at 8:48 AM
  • 5 Replies
As I take my kids to school this morning I notice right before the kids get out of car they are talking about this boy two cars in front of us. My DD says his name and DS says the boy is in his class. DD gets out first and then DS. DS looks at the boy with a nod with his head and says, sup (the kids last name). The kid walked right by him not even acknowledging him. They were arm length apart. The look on DS face was unforgettable. Poor little guy I just wanted to get out of my car and hug him and say, hey that's ok.... just shake it off. He is just missing a chance to know an amazing friend. But as I looked up the teachers who direct traffic was telling me to pull forward. This isn't the first time I've seen this happen to him. He is in 5th grade and many times when I go up to his class for a day they don't talk to him. It's like he is a loaner. He does have a few I know of that talk to him. I notice if he is outside when DD is he is all by himself. I'll walk over and talk to him but he just says he doesn't like the game. It's kick ball who doesn't like kickball. I know he likes kickball because he plays with us at home.

I'm just heart broken this morning. It's sad kids are being disrespectful to him. But then maybe there is another story I don't know about. DS is just the sweetest, caring, smart, and funny little guy I just don't see him being mean to others. However I believe his size might be the problem. He is 11 and the size of a 5 year old.

by on Apr. 25, 2014 at 8:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
mjande4
by Platinum Member on Apr. 25, 2014 at 8:51 AM

Instead of feeling sorry for him, be proactive. Is he in any extra curriculars/sports? That's how you make and keep friends. If he's small for his age, then yes he probably won't get picked to play on the playground unless he's able to prove that he's really good, but that doesn't mean that there isn't something he can excel at and build confidence and friendships from.

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Apr. 25, 2014 at 9:02 AM

What is your son interested in?  Does he enjoy sports?  How about martial arts?  Chess?  Drawing?  How about scouts?  Like PP said, getting him involved in an extracurricular will help him buld confidence and friendships.  Extracurriculars are the best place to find friends with similar interests. 

Also try to remember that it is better to have 1 or 2 real friends than a bunch of people who pretend to be your friends.

wakymom
by Ruby Member on Apr. 25, 2014 at 9:16 AM

You could always talk w/ his teacher about it- find out what she sees in the classroom that may contribute. Is he more quiet in a group setting? Is he interacting in an age-appropriate way?

As long as he has a couple of friends he hangs out w/ at school, is overall happy and is doing well in school, I wouldn't worry too much. I was a shy, didn't have a lot of kids talking to me, preferred to play alone frequently at home, but I did have a couple of friends I'd play w/ at school, was generally happy and did well in school.

Activities outside school can help, too. We're a Scouting family- all 3 kids are involved, as are dh and I. Sports, classes (art, music, cooking, acting/drama, etc), and 4H are other ways to go.

jaytee
by Jen on Apr. 25, 2014 at 9:26 AM
I could have wrote this post myself about my own fifth grader. Girl Scouts has helped SO much!!
balagan_imma
by Silver Member on Apr. 25, 2014 at 9:35 AM

My oldest never really connected with most of the boys in his grade. He was also the loner, although every did say hi to him, but that was it. Playdates were rebuffed. He said it didn't bother him, except for the one real friend, and he moved away.

He changed schools after 8th grade. The differnce is night and day. He has a small group of buddies with similar interests. He's had sleepovers, they go to movies, etc…

I would talk to the teacher. Also find some out of school activities. And help him to be proactive. Make play dates for him with some of the kids' moms.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN