Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

How many Recesses

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2014 at 4:43 PM
  • 63 Replies

My boys are in K and 2nd and they only get one a day after lunch.  When ods was in K he got two but then they changed it to one.

by on Apr. 25, 2014 at 4:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Tooth_Inspector
by Member on Apr. 25, 2014 at 4:55 PM
Interesting, my kids have two recesses a day and if they finish lunch early they can go out for a few minutes before class and they are in K and 2nd as well.
huskermom98
by Silver Member on Apr. 25, 2014 at 5:03 PM
1 mom liked this

My boys only get one recess (K&3rd).  The teachers try to give the kindergarteners a 2nd one when possible early in the school year, but this fall was either blazing hot or rainy.

2-point-doe
by Bronze Member on Apr. 25, 2014 at 5:05 PM

DD is in 1st. She gets 2 unless it is PE day, then they get one.

frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Apr. 25, 2014 at 5:07 PM

Our school gives 3 at least through 2nd grade.  I am not sure about 3-5 since we have not crossed that bridge yet.   15-20 minutes each.

lenashark
by Member on Apr. 25, 2014 at 5:09 PM

My son is in first, he gets one after lunch, he had the same amount in kindergarten. I don't see why they would need more than one. 

Gloria1025
by Member on Apr. 25, 2014 at 5:13 PM

My sonis in first grade in a private school and they get 2 recesses, outside time on the playground after lunch and plus Gym class two days a week.  The exercise really helps my son be able to concentrate during lessons and this is one of the aspects we liked about this school. 

GwenMB
by Gwen on Apr. 25, 2014 at 5:17 PM

At my sons' school, K gets 1 recess, but they are only half day. Grades 1-4 get 2 recesses - 15 minutes mid morning & 30 minutes right after lunch.  Plus gym class, but I don't know how often they have gym.

I'm not sure about 5-8, I'm not involved with their schedule nearly as much.  I know they get some time after lunch, although the 7-8 grade kids don't always take advantage of it.

4HMomto3
by on Apr. 25, 2014 at 5:20 PM

Mine are in KG and 1st, they only get 1 recess now. This year the school had to take away a recess and playtime (KG use to have playtime, we are full day)  in order to abide by the new standards and requirements. 

ljmom24
by Bronze Member on Apr. 25, 2014 at 5:25 PM
Oldest is in 5th grade and they have always only gotten 1. Kindergarten and 1st are generally 5 min longer then older grades. My youngest is in kindergarten at another school and just 1 recess in all grades.
Andrewsmom70
by Gold Member on Apr. 25, 2014 at 5:41 PM
In our school system, it is one per grade but the time varies. K-3 gets PE 3X/week and 4-5 get PE 5X/week. Not sure length of K-3 PE but it's 70 minutes for 4-5 grades.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)