Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Does your kids school allow this?

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2014 at 5:30 PM
  • 102 Replies
Ive been very annoyed with my kids school. We live in a small town so the elementary all the way thru high school are all attached. Well my kids know they arent allowed to have pop unless I give them permission. The school has a coke machine that any of the kids have access to. Its filled with pepsi,water,a few other sodas and MT DEW. So on a few occasions my kids come home with Mt Dew. I am very upset bc I didnt think schools could have that kinda drink openly available for kids. High schoolers I understand. But all that caffine and sugar is not what I want my kids getting from school. Even for St Patricks day my kindergartener came home with a Mt Dew from the teacher! What are everyone's thoughts?
by on Apr. 25, 2014 at 5:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Starbucksbabe83
by on Apr. 25, 2014 at 5:34 PM
Just found this article which I will be showing to my kids school for anyone interested.

http://www.usnews.com/education/blogs/high-school-notes/2013/07/01/junk-food-axed-from-school-vending-machines
Starbucksbabe83
by on Apr. 25, 2014 at 5:34 PM
Just found this article which I will be showing to my kids school for anyone interested.

http://www.usnews.com/education/blogs/high-school-notes/2013/07/01/junk-food-axed-from-school-vending-machines
Andrewsmom70
by Gold Member on Apr. 25, 2014 at 5:36 PM
My son knows he isn't allowed caffeine or diet drinks. I would be pissed if my son had access to a soda machine at school. And I would make sure he didn't have money if he bought something from the machine.
Tooth_Inspector
by Member on Apr. 25, 2014 at 5:59 PM
2 moms liked this
I would take it up with my kids and not the school. But in our town they've removed all soda from vending machines on school property so I don't think I'll have this problem. Good luck! I know I wouldn't be thrilled if I were you!
almburr
by Member on Apr. 25, 2014 at 5:59 PM
Our vending machines were pulled a few years ago. During parties some teachers will have mini cans or bottles of pop.
ljmom24
by Silver Member on Apr. 25, 2014 at 6:22 PM
1 mom liked this
Schools here aren't allowed to have soda or candy. If they have a party in class it's water and fruit on menu.
mom23heathens
by Member on Apr. 25, 2014 at 6:25 PM
our school has a soda machine but its in the teachers lounge. My daughter does come home with soda and candy bars occasionally but it has something to do with their standardized testing as a reward.I didn't think schools were allowed to have vending machines anymore.
MistyMoo
by Bronze Member on Apr. 25, 2014 at 6:26 PM
I don't think any schools in my area have pop.. Or vending machines.. And they certainly don't sell it in the cafeteria.
GwenMB
by Gwen on Apr. 25, 2014 at 6:28 PM

There are no pop machines in my sons' school - and I'm not aware of any teacher ever giving the kids pop.  I think they'd likely tell them to ask their parents before drinking it if they were giving them some for whatever reason.

mommaFruFru
by Gold Member on Apr. 25, 2014 at 6:42 PM
1 mom liked this
Our school is all in one too. They have 3 vending machines outside the high school cafateria, which is right inside the entrance/exit used by Elementary students who ride the bus, or are late. And by visitors.

If an elm student wanted to get a drink they would have to pass too many adults, and be redirected.

I don't send money with my boys. Unless its for something special.

Teachers don't give sodas at parties, juice or water or drink pouches. But all parties are paid and planned by parents anyway.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN