Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Question for moms of 1st graders or older

Posted by on Apr. 27, 2014 at 4:26 AM
  • 72 Replies

Hello!

I have a 5 year old who will be starting school in August. She's my only child so I'm new to this. I'm looking online at the schools in our area and they aren't answering my question.

Are kindergarten classes all day of half days? Or does it really depend on the area?

True enough, we're only almost into May but before we know it, the new school year will be upon us. I'm in the military and currently deployed but I need to make sure that I have everything sorted out for when I get back. Her starting school will be a major adjustment for us both because I'm so used to doing whatever I want. Now I'll have to plan around her schedule and also have to make sure that she has before/after school care prior to me returning back to the states. If anyone can answer this, it would be greatly appreciated!

EDIT: FYI, I'm stationed in Tennessee.

by on Apr. 27, 2014 at 4:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Fields456
by Bronze Member on Apr. 27, 2014 at 4:27 AM
1 mom liked this
I believe it just depends on where you live in Texas most if not all are all day
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aetrom
by Gold Member on Apr. 27, 2014 at 4:35 AM
It depends on the city/state
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tamikadorch26
by on Apr. 27, 2014 at 4:36 AM

It's all day long. School bell starts here at 8:15 am and they are out at 3:00pm.

WillsMOM72
by Bronze Member on Apr. 27, 2014 at 4:36 AM
It depends on state.
Malayahsmom06
by on Apr. 27, 2014 at 4:46 AM
I live in Texas. All day here
Gloria1025
by Member on Apr. 27, 2014 at 4:50 AM

It depends on the school district - ours is full day but 2 neighboring districts are half day

frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Apr. 27, 2014 at 4:51 AM

wash. state has transitioned into all day for all kinder students.   I would suggest actually emailing or calling the schools you are looking at for that information.  It could even change before school starts to a new set up. 

Who is she staying with currently while you are out of the states?

Mommy2Bri425
by Member on Apr. 27, 2014 at 5:12 AM

Quoting frndlyfn:

wash. state has transitioned into all day for all kinder students.   I would suggest actually emailing or calling the schools you are looking at for that information.  It could even change before school starts to a new set up. 

Since it's not listed on the county website, then I really don't have many other options but to call. We live in TN but she's not in TN, she's in VA so the person she's staying with wouldn't be much help, neither.

Alyssasmommy412
by Member on Apr. 27, 2014 at 5:19 AM

Will she be going to school in VA or TN? If VA what county I could probably find our for you as I live in VA. My county is half day but some surrounding counties are full day.

Quoting Mommy2Bri425:

Quoting frndlyfn:

Since it's not listed on the county website, then I really don't have many other options but to call. We live in TN but she's not in TN, she's in VA so the person she's staying with wouldn't be much help, neither.

Mommy2Bri425
by Member on Apr. 27, 2014 at 5:27 AM

She'll be going in Tennessee because that's where I'm stationed at. She'll be back in TN either when I get back or about a month before I get back. I'm thinking of having her go back to TN before I redeploy because if not, she could be about 1.5 months behind and I really don't want that.

Quoting Alyssasmommy412:

Will she be going to school in VA or TN? If VA what county I could probably find our for you as I live in VA. My county is half day but some surrounding counties are full day.

Quoting Mommy2Bri425:

Quoting frndlyfn:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN