Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Common core and NCLB

Posted by on Apr. 27, 2014 at 10:20 AM
  • 14 Replies

I apologize if this has been discussed to death in this group - feel free to point me towards previous posts.  I am trying to understand d the differences between the two and how the two work together.  I have heard pros and cons about both.  I guess the thing I have heard consistently negative things about is monetary incentives and penalties being given to districts for standardized test scores and how that has led to some counterproductive behaviors - is this part of Common core or NCLB?  

by on Apr. 27, 2014 at 10:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
maxswolfsuit
by Max on Apr. 27, 2014 at 11:25 AM
4 moms liked this

Linking funding to test scores is NCLB. 

NCLB basically put more pressure on schools to show student achievement through test scores. Schools are evaluated based on how many students score on grade level on standardized tests. The one positive I see from NCLB is that students with disabilities is one of the sub groups looked at. So previously many schools just put ESE students in self contained classes to get them away from the other kids and honestly get them away from teachers who don't want to work with them. Once the school had some pressure for those kids to perform policies started changing. That's what I see as the main catalyst for inclusion to become so common. Now teachers are expected to work with all kinds of kids. 

Common Core is a set of education standards. It's basically a list of what students in every grade level need to learn. It replaced similar lists that each state already had. It doesn't tell teachers how to teach or what materials to use. It's just what the kids need to know and be able to do by the end of the year. 

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Apr. 27, 2014 at 11:27 AM

If you type Common Core into the search bar at the top of the group page you will see many discussions on Common Core in this group. There's definitely many people with strong and opposing opinions about it. 

Gloria1025
by Member on Apr. 27, 2014 at 11:51 AM

Thank you - this is very helpful.  As a parent, I appreciate the transparency of the testing scores however, I realize there are many many reasons why scores may be good or bad.  Like anything, I am sure there are good aspects and bad for each of these and even with good policy there can be bad implementation.  I am just trying to educate myself on the facts vs. interpretation.

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

NCLB basically put more pressure on schools to show student achievement through test scores. Schools are evaluated based on how many students score on grade level on standardized tests. The one positive I see from NCLB is that students with disabilities is one of the sub groups looked at. So previously many schools just put ESE students in self contained classes to get them away from the other kids and honestly get them away from teachers who don't want to work with them. Once the school had some pressure for those kids to perform policies started changing. That's what I see as the main catalyst for inclusion to become so common. Now teachers are expected to work with all kinds of kids. 

Common Core is a set of education standards. It's basically a list of what students in every grade level need to learn. It replaced similar lists that each state already had. It doesn't tell teachers how to teach or what materials to use. It's just what the kids need to know and be able to do by the end of the year. 

Gloria1025
by Member on Apr. 27, 2014 at 11:52 AM
1 mom liked this

Thanks - I will search, I am not looking for drama - just trying to educate myself.

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

If you type Common Core into the search bar at the top of the group page you will see many discussions on Common Core in this group. There's definitely many people with strong and opposing opinions about it. 

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Apr. 27, 2014 at 11:53 AM

It sounds like you have a great, open minded attitude. Enjoy your research. 

Quoting Gloria1025:

Thank you - this is very helpful.  As a parent, I appreciate the transparency of the testing scores however, I realize there are many many reasons why scores may be good or bad.  Like anything, I am sure there are good aspects and bad for each of these and even with good policy there can be bad implementation.  I am just trying to educate myself on the facts vs. interpretation.

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

Andrewsmom70
by Gold Member on Apr. 27, 2014 at 12:29 PM
Race to the Top also has some standardized tests score ties as well, I do believe.
Gloria1025
by Member on Apr. 27, 2014 at 12:31 PM

I have not hear of this one.  Is it a national program?

Quoting Andrewsmom70: Race to the Top also has some standardized tests score ties as well, I do believe.

Andrewsmom70
by Gold Member on Apr. 27, 2014 at 12:31 PM
Yep.

Quoting Gloria1025:

I have not hear of this one.  Is it a national program?

Quoting Andrewsmom70: Race to the Top also has some standardized tests score ties as well, I do believe.

Gloria1025
by Member on Apr. 27, 2014 at 12:33 PM

Thanks!  I'll look up that one too :)

Quoting Andrewsmom70: Yep

tossed
by Member on Apr. 27, 2014 at 12:39 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting Gloria1025:

Thanks - I will search, I am not looking for drama - just trying to educate myself.

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

If you have not already done so, read the common core standards. There is a tremendous amount of misunderstanding about the cc.  http://www.corestandards.org/

Please don't just read the very hostile comments about specific pieces of homework a child brought home as proof that CC is evil.  Read the standards.  There are a couple of reasons for CC. There is an attempt to see that our kids are being taught how to think instead of simply memorizing facts.  Also, given the mobility of our society, it is supposed to make it easier for a child to move from one state to another without being terribly behind.  I saw this difficulty with some previous neighbors.  Here, the teachers wanted to retain all 3 children. Finally, the grandparents who had custody moved back to their previous state where all 3 kids are on the honor roll. The standards are also supposed to help us address the deficiencies our students have as compared to the rest of the world.

While no set of standards is perfect, I have read so much incorrect information. Please read the standards and ask yourself if what you are reading is appropriate.  I think there are some teachers and districts who have not properly embraced the CC and have not developed ways to make sure they are teaching children in a proper manner. I also think there are some groups who are determined to see the CC fail. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN