Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Private VS Public

Posted by on Apr. 28, 2014 at 4:06 PM
  • 57 Replies
Ok so my DD attended private school from pre-k thru mid-first grade (January this year)-- when we decided to give our public school a try. HUGE mistake!! She has learned absolutely nothing -- has been stuck on the same reading level since she started this school -- and doesn't even go to reading group... While she "waits on others to catch up". This new school has not even touched on telling time or counting money -- while our private school friends (and other public schools)-- have already learned it!! Did i mention there are 26 first graders in her class??? seriously?? with NO aide?? I'm soooo not impressed, so back to private we go!! Very annoying when we pay taxes for a sub-par school AND then pay private school tuition too!! Thanks for letting me vent!! What's your take?
by on Apr. 28, 2014 at 4:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommy053008
by Maria on Apr. 28, 2014 at 4:09 PM
1 mom liked this

I wouldn't touch our public school with a ten foot pole. My daughter is in private school and we absolutely love it, best decision we ever made regaring her education she will be in first grade this upcoming year and her sister will be following behind in a few years. They actually sent an email this past weekend talking about opening a prek which my youngest would be able to attend not this school year but the following. I would put her back in private if you are unhappy with the public school.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
BaileysMom476
by Member on Apr. 28, 2014 at 4:12 PM
Agreed Maria -- it is worth the investment. I'm honestly shocked at how horrible our public schools are!!
toopicky429
by Bronze Member on Apr. 28, 2014 at 4:14 PM
1 mom liked this
We have an excellent public school, while most of the private schools in my area are subpar. I would be really angry if I were in your situation. Luckily your daughter is young so this won't set her back too much.
Melody635
by on Apr. 28, 2014 at 4:15 PM
1 mom liked this

I prefer private school in our area.  Our girls went for a couple of years.  Unfortunately we couldn't afford for all 3 of our kids to go.  Thankfully our public school is one of the better ones, but I would still prefer private.

mamavalor
by Bronze Member on Apr. 28, 2014 at 4:15 PM
3 moms liked this

Did you not check out the public school before transferring her over?  And why starting mid-year?  Did you guys move?  If so, then I would give her more time to adjust to a new setting and make friends before seeing big improvements in her learning.

MumsTheWord571
by Member on Apr. 28, 2014 at 4:19 PM
1 mom liked this
The public school in my area sucks. My DS is in Catholic private school. I love it! Small classes, a teacher and an aide in every class. It's preschool to eighth grade, DD starts in August. Private school in an investment in their futures, I'll do without if necessary to pay for our kids to go to private school.

mom2jessnky
by Bronze Member on Apr. 28, 2014 at 4:20 PM

I haven't had any problems with public school for my oldest.

My youngest no problems until we moved here and I found out that the 2nd grade teacher had 2nd grade confused with preschool so I yanked her and put her in an online public school, no issues there.

I looked into private school where we lived last (we thought about moving off base and the public schools there were a sick joke- my kids went to a DOD school). Yeah...no. 1 was $15,000 per kid, per year and that was WITH the military "discount" of 3% (WHOOOOOO), another was $10,000 py/pk but we had to be Catholic (we're not) and the 3rd was an affordable (LOL) $7,000 py/pk but you had to sign a waiver saying it was okay for them to beat your child for rule breaking, they were big on that spare the rod, spoil the child thing. I'm not going to pay $14,000 to let some religious psycho beat my kids, so IMO private school is no bueno.

M0M0F3B0YS82
by Bronze Member on Apr. 28, 2014 at 4:24 PM
1 mom liked this
Our district is small and I'm grateful for that, did you look at the school before placing her? What do they teach them? Why can't she move on her reading? Reading is usually an independent style learning (for us it is)
BaileysMom476
by Member on Apr. 28, 2014 at 4:24 PM
Mama valor -- it's actually the best rated public school in our district -- excellent even. Which is even scarier. And she can't learn because they're holding her back so others can catch up. She has done well in the friend department -- but in the flip side, she does come home saying things I deem inappropriate that she's never said before. Academically we were at a top-notch private school that starts 2 hours of homework per night in 2nd grade. That's ridiculous. So we are moving to a diff christian private school that has a better balance for us. Thanks for your response.
BaileysMom476
by Member on Apr. 28, 2014 at 4:26 PM
Lol gotcha mom2jess. I wouldn't do those either! Fortunately the private school options around here are vast -- no doubt because the public school is such a joke!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)