Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

General question about state testing rules...

Posted by on Apr. 29, 2014 at 11:12 PM
  • 46 Replies

Poll

Question: Can they read after they are done with state testing?

Options:

Yes

No

Other

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 32

View Results

This is just a small vent and a question. When your kids take their state tests, are they allowed to read when they are done or do they just have to sit in silence while they wait for the others to be done? I ask because my dd's school doesn't allow them to read after so she had to sit for over an hour both days in silence while she waited for everyone to be done. She said their reasoning is that they don't want them stumbling across answers to the questions and going back to fix them. They don't pick up the tests until everyone is done. I think that is strange too. She finished her math test today in about 45 min so she had to sit for another 90 until the last student was done. She just sat quietly and put her head down. She would have loved to be reading one of the many books that she is currently reading instead. 

by on Apr. 29, 2014 at 11:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bleacher-mom
by Member on Apr. 29, 2014 at 11:21 PM
What grade is she in? I couldn't imagine one test taking 2 hours and 15 minutes. My kids are homeschooled and my oldest has to take tests. Each test is only 30 minutes long.

If you knew before hand could you have found something else she could do like draw?
momtoBrenna
by Silver Member on Apr. 29, 2014 at 11:45 PM

She is in 3rd grade, they allow that long for the tests. Most of the kids don't take that long, especially at her school but, one of the students is much weaker in math so she did. They have others that are weaker in reading compared to the rest so they took a long time for that part on Monday. They aren't allowed to have anything except their tests and their pencils with them. 

aetrom
by Gold Member on Apr. 29, 2014 at 11:56 PM
I can not see how they could be aloowed something other that test and pencil and maybe a sheet of paper. Granted she could use thesccrap paper, or she could lay her head down and take a break. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momtoBrenna
by Silver Member on Apr. 30, 2014 at 12:15 AM

The thing that makes me not understand it is that they did a week of IOWA testing a few weeks ago and they were allowed to read. They have storage pockets on their chairs. They could allow them to have them empty except for the book like they did with the IOWA testing. Idk if it is just the rules or not. I also remember being told to bring a book when I was in school on state testing day.

Quoting aetrom: I can not see how they could be aloowed something other that test and pencil and maybe a sheet of paper. Granted she could use thesccrap paper, or she could lay her head down and take a break. :)

aetrom
by Gold Member on Apr. 30, 2014 at 1:51 AM
I was never allowed a book on testing day. Maybe it depends on the test now?

Quoting momtoBrenna:

The thing that makes me not understand it is that they did a week of IOWA testing a few weeks ago and they were allowed to read. They have storage pockets on their chairs. They could allow them to have them empty except for the book like they did with the IOWA testing. Idk if it is just the rules or not. I also remember being told to bring a book when I was in school on state testing day.

Quoting aetrom: I can not see how they could be aloowed something other that test and pencil and maybe a sheet of paper. Granted she could use thesccrap paper, or she could lay her head down and take a break. :)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
steffielou_who
by Silver Member on Apr. 30, 2014 at 1:53 AM
My kids do read after and Dh is a middle school teacher and says his students are allowed to read as well..
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
maxswolfsuit
by Max on Apr. 30, 2014 at 6:31 AM
1 mom liked this

We do it that way too and I think it's best. It's not unusual for students to open their books back up after they've been done for a while because they thought about something and want to fix it. 

It's also becuase if kids see their classmates are finishing they will feel pressured to rush. Plus some kids would just speed through the test to get it over with if they knew they could do something else.  It's boring, but for a couple of days a year the kids can deal with it. 

Are you sure the testing session was that long? Our longest sessions are 70 minutes. 

momtoBrenna
by Silver Member on Apr. 30, 2014 at 7:05 AM

I guess that I can see that and, yes, I am positive on the time frame. The reading day wasn't quite as long because no one took the entire time allowed but she still sat there for just over an hour. She was confused because she was allowed to read when they did their IOWA testing but not this time. It is over for her now though. Quite a few students have to take the math on Friday though because they were late to school yesterday. There was a bad accident that had one of the main freeways closed for hours yesterday. Thankfully, they are gathering all of them in a seperate room for that. 

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

We do it that way too and I think it's best. It's not unusual for students to open their books back up after they've been done for a while because they thought about something and want to fix it. 

It's also becuase if kids see their classmates are finishing they will feel pressured to rush. Plus some kids would just speed through the test to get it over with if they knew they could do something else.  It's boring, but for a couple of days a year the kids can deal with it. 

Are you sure the testing session was that long? Our longest sessions are 70 minutes. 

Karmahappens
by Member on Apr. 30, 2014 at 7:10 AM

Talk to the school. The child when done should be a llowed to  take the test up to the proctor or teacher and then read.

I don't know. They test on computers here and the kids when they are done check the work, hit finished and then they can NOT go back in any case so they can read or do  whatever-the test isn't accessable to them anymore.

momtoBrenna
by Silver Member on Apr. 30, 2014 at 7:17 AM

I think that they are working toward doing it on the computer but not any time soon. The testing is over for dd for the year now. They don't pick up the tests until they are all done and they are not allowed up for  any reason.

Quoting Karmahappens:

Talk to the school. The child when done should be a llowed to  take the test up to the proctor or teacher and then read.

I don't know. They test on computers here and the kids when they are done check the work, hit finished and then they can NOT go back in any case so they can read or do  whatever-the test isn't accessable to them anymore.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)