Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

How can you do this to your kids?

Posted by on Apr. 30, 2014 at 7:43 PM
  • 302 Replies

I know that school pictures are expensive...I haven't bought SD's school pictures in YEARS because they are usually pretty horrible and I can't fathom spending $60 on pictures when I can go outside and take pics with my own camera and get them developed at Walmart for next to nothing!

I am a teacher, we gave out school pictures on Monday. With the pictures was a note saying that if parents didn't want to purchase the pictures they needed to return them otherwise they would be expected to pay for them, if they went unpaid the kids would not get their final report card and would not be able to participate in end of year activities like field day. When the girl returned on Tuesday she said that her mom said they were already paid for. I told her no, they weren't, no one had paid for them yet. I get a call from another teacher who happens to teach her brother asking about the pictures. She got a handwritten note on the note about needing to return the pictures saying that even though the note was stapled to the pics when the boy got home there were no pics.

We went to the principal just to let her know what was going on.

Today she came in and handed me the same note as the other teacher got. I asked her where the pictures were and she told me they were at home.

I went to my principal again and showed her the note. She tried to call mom on the spot but was only able to leave a message. She ended up getting ahold of grandma later.

I then got a phone call after school today from mom saying that the girl brought the pics back to school today but left her bookbag on the bus and when she got it after school the pics were missing - except she had her bookbag at school today and didn't have the pictures.

So, I have gotten 3 stories about these pics, and now it looks like both of her kids will miss field day because she is refusing to return the pictures and the school will be out $110.

by on Apr. 30, 2014 at 7:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mjande4
by Platinum Member on Apr. 30, 2014 at 8:10 PM
37 moms liked this

That is way too much drama over a minor thing. It shouldn't involve the school at all. The only people that should be dealing with it and "out" the money is the photography company. Your administrator needs to fire that one and get a more competent company.

MrsNewman
by Bronze Member on Apr. 30, 2014 at 8:14 PM
41 moms liked this
Sending the photos home like that is stupid to begin with. I keep my kids home on spring picture day for that reason. They won't accept please do not take my child's picture letters, then expect you to pay for pictures that will other wise just be thrown away.
quickbooksworm
by Bronze Member on Apr. 30, 2014 at 8:14 PM
44 moms liked this
I have a bigger problem with a photo studio who sends pictures you didn't ask for home with kids and expect them back or payments. Send me a proof and I will buy them if they don't suck. Its a sketchy practice and looked down on in the professional photography community.
bellasmom32510
by Bronze Member on Apr. 30, 2014 at 8:16 PM
2 moms liked this

It isn't up to the school, it is up to the district as all the schools use the same company. I agree, but will be expected to follow with protocol with regards to students having an outstanding balance (whether lunches or library fines, or school pictures), I have one child who has almost $220 in lunch money owed to the school.

Quoting mjande4:

That is way too much drama over a minor thing. It shouldn't involve the school at all. The only people that should be dealing with it and "out" the money is the photography company. Your administrator needs to fire that one and get a more competent company.

mjande4
by Platinum Member on Apr. 30, 2014 at 8:17 PM
10 moms liked this

The school should not have anything to do with photo money. The entire thing sounds unethical.

Quoting bellasmom32510:

It isn't up to the school, it is up to the district as all the schools use the same company. I agree, but will be expected to follow with protocol with regards to students having an outstanding balance (whether lunches or library fines, or school pictures), I have one child who has almost $220 in lunch money owed to the school.

Quoting mjande4:

bellasmom32510
by Bronze Member on Apr. 30, 2014 at 8:17 PM
1 mom liked this

While I agree with you, my hands are tied. But the parents are told, these are the consequences and they don't seem to care.

Quoting quickbooksworm: I have a bigger problem with a photo studio who sends pictures you didn't ask for home with kids and expect them back or payments. Send me a proof and I will buy them if they don't suck. Its a sketchy practice and looked down on in the professional photography community.

katiebug840204
by Katie on Apr. 30, 2014 at 8:22 PM
12 moms liked this
Our school send home one proof and it has proof written across it. If we want to order the pics then we send in the money and the pics will then be sent home to us. I think that's the best way to make sure the photography Company gets its money.
ABCMomma0211
by on Apr. 30, 2014 at 8:26 PM
That is absurd that kids cant do the fun things iver a stupid picture!!!!

Those pictures never turn out the right way.
CalicoMeezer
by Bronze Member on Apr. 30, 2014 at 8:42 PM
2 moms liked this
The school gets involved because if the parents welch, the school can be geld liable and have to pay for them.

I hate Lifetouch.
GwenMB
by Gwen on Apr. 30, 2014 at 8:53 PM
1 mom liked this

How in the world can the school not have anything to do with photo money? They are the ones who see the students & have contact with them. The photo company doesn't see them, other than when they take the pictures, or have contact info for them.  I really don't see how its unethical for the school to be handling the money.

Quoting mjande4:

The school should not have anything to do with photo money. The entire thing sounds unethical.

Quoting bellasmom32510:

Quoting mjande4:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)