Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Advice Needed: What is a good age to leave them home alone

Posted by   + Show Post

What is a good age to leave them home alone?  I have 3 children ages 9,7, and 7.  I am wondering when is a good age for them to be left home alone for a few hour(2-3 hours).  I am talking about right after school till Daddy gets home.  I work nights but when they are old enough I want to go to day shift, but if I do they will be home alone until Daddy gets home from work at 5pm. So what is a good age? I am thinking when the oldest is 11.  What are your thoughts?

Our State doesn't have a minimum age that that have to be.

by on May. 1, 2014 at 7:07 AM
Replies (11-20):
4HMomto3
by on May. 1, 2014 at 1:45 PM

Personally I feel it's all about maturity of each of the kids, not just the oldest. 

2pink1blue
by Member on May. 1, 2014 at 1:54 PM

We started allowing our oldest to stay alone for short periods of time (less than an hour) last summer, just before she turned 11.  I have not yet left her with her siblins (9 and 6).  Leaving her with all their afterschool energy would be too much and is not something I'm confortable with yet.  

Traci_Momof2
by Silver Member on May. 1, 2014 at 2:05 PM

I have two boys ages 7 and 9.  Starting this fall they will be home alone for about half an hour between when they get off the bus and when I can get home from work.  When I start doing that, my 9yo will be one month away from turning 10 and my 7yo will be 7.5.  I am comfortable with half an hour for them.  I would not be comfortable with 2 - 3 hours.  What age would I be?  We'll have to see how the half hour goes and go from there.

Whether it's right or wrong for your kids depends on your particular kids.  How mature they are, how responsible, how much have they been home alone before (you can't just throw them into 3 hours if they've never even done 15 min), how well could they handle an emergency situation.  These are things you need to consider about your kids and then you will have the answer.

aetrom
by Gold Member on May. 1, 2014 at 3:12 PM
I have a 8 going on 9 and a just turned 5. I have left them both for 10-20 minutes. The older one has stayed an hour by himself. 2-3 hours i would not do another year or two. So 10-11....
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
waytomanykids10
by Bronze Member on May. 1, 2014 at 4:33 PM

My 11, 10,9, and one of my 8yo' stay home 2 days a week for about 3 hours.

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on May. 1, 2014 at 4:57 PM
Going to say this one more time. Check your LOCAL and COUNTY laws. Most states leave this matter up to local governments so an internet search will show that the state has no law. Seriously you don't want child services on your case over something like this.

Quoting Sarasahmof3:

What is a good age to leave
them home alone?  I have 3 children ages 9,7, and 7.  I am wondering when is a good age for them to be left home alone for a few hour(2-3 hours).  I am talking about right after school till Daddy gets home.  I work nights but when they are old enough I want to go to day shift, but if I do they will be home alone until Daddy gets home from work at 5pm. So what is a good age? I am thinking when the oldest is 11.  What are your thoughts?

Our State doesn't have a minimum age that that have to be.

emarin77
by Bronze Member on May. 1, 2014 at 5:00 PM

In New York State is was 13 when I stayed home alone with my younger brother who was 10.  We were home alone only for 2 hours though before my dad came home from work.

rockinmomto2
by Bronze Member on May. 1, 2014 at 5:05 PM

Not until my oldest is at LEAST 13 AND is proven to me that she is responsible, reliable, and capable of following directions. At that point, my other two would be 11 and 9. Definitely no younger than that.

stephie2603
by Member on May. 2, 2014 at 8:19 AM
It all depends on the child. How mature they are and how much common sense they have. I wouldnt leave my sd home alone and she's 11 almost 12.
Mocking.Jay
by Silver Member on May. 2, 2014 at 10:35 AM
Here, it's 12 but I have an aunt who won't do it for her even 13 year old because she is just too immature yet so she's gonna try when she's 15 next year.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)