Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Advice Needed: What is a good age to leave them home alone

Posted by   + Show Post

What is a good age to leave them home alone?  I have 3 children ages 9,7, and 7.  I am wondering when is a good age for them to be left home alone for a few hour(2-3 hours).  I am talking about right after school till Daddy gets home.  I work nights but when they are old enough I want to go to day shift, but if I do they will be home alone until Daddy gets home from work at 5pm. So what is a good age? I am thinking when the oldest is 11.  What are your thoughts?

Our State doesn't have a minimum age that that have to be.

by on May. 1, 2014 at 7:07 AM
Replies (21-24):
LovlyRita
by Bronze Member on May. 2, 2014 at 12:14 PM
I started a year ago leaving my 10 year-old home alone for short trips to Trader Joes. I was usually gone for less than 30 minutes. I started leaving the now 11 year-old and 8 year-old home for runs to the store about 3 months ago. Starting next week I will be leaving them twice a week so I can take an hour long fitness class, so a total of about 90 minutes.

I think you need to do it gradual and slowly increase the time.
SixLowes
by on May. 2, 2014 at 2:16 PM

My oldest is 9, I would leave him home alone for an hour or two starting at maybe 11. We live out in the country, so we don't have neighbours close by so I wouldn't leave him alone for too long incase of an emergency or something.

Lindalou907
by on May. 3, 2014 at 12:53 AM

I left mine for an hour or two when the oldest was 11, it just depends on how mature they are and willing to mind the oldest. And it helps to have a neighbor available in an emergency.

Basherte
by Bronze Member on May. 3, 2014 at 1:40 AM

I would check local. Where I live they have to 13.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN