Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Has anyone used the Wilson Reading System to Help their child?

Posted by on May. 2, 2014 at 10:30 AM
  • 10 Replies

My 8 year old daughter has been struggling with reading since the first grade.

She has been seeing a tutor since July of last year.  In the begining of second grade, she was also put in a school program for struggling readers.  At the begining of second grade, her reading level was E, by January of this year she was at reading level H. 

They took her out of the reading program in January because her scores made her inelligible.  They just tested her again and her current reading level is K.  The reading level she should be on is M/N.

I am wondering if I should continue with the same tutor she's been seeing, or if we should try something different.  I was looking online and came across a tutoring center that uses the Wilson Reading System.  I suspect my daughter may have mild dyslexia, and they say the Wilson Reading system is good for kids with dyslexia.  I am waiting to get an appointment to have her evaluated for it, but in the meantime, I was thinking about trying this Wilson system.

Has anyone used this system for their child and were they happy with the results?

There's also the issue of cost.  The current tutor I have for my child is $36 an hour.  The tutor that uses the Wilson Reading system charges $65 an hour. 

I'm not sure since now she's only a couple of level below grade level if it's worth the money to try the Wilson Reading system, or if I should just continue with the tutor we currently have.  I don't have any complaints about the tutor we currently have, only she doesn't bring any worksheets or anything with her.  She basically just have my daughter read books, and they practice sounding out words. 

And even though the tests say my daughter's gotten better, I honestly have only noticed a small improvement.  When I have her read to me, she still hesistates on simple words, and still has problems sounding out words. 

So I'm wondering if I would notice a diffence with the Wilson Reading System and if it's worth the extra money.

by on May. 2, 2014 at 10:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
matofour
by Bronze Member on May. 2, 2014 at 10:41 AM
First, get her tested. Does dyslexia run in the family?
My daughter uses Orten gillenham/Wilson. She's dyslexic. It works well for her.
But, before you switch anything get her tested.
What does her teacher have to say?
amber3902
by Member on May. 2, 2014 at 11:03 AM

There's a history of learning disabilities in the family.  Her older sister has an auditory processing disorder and ADHD.

I haven't talked to her teacher about the dyslexia yet.  Eariler in the year her teacher suggested getting her tested for ADHD, so when I get the appointment, I will have her evaluated for that as well. It's just the waiting list to get an appointment can be up to six months long, so it will be a while before I find out what, if anything is wrong with her.

Quoting matofour: First, get her tested. Does dyslexia run in the family? My daughter uses Orten gillenham/Wilson. She's dyslexic. It works well for her. But, before you switch anything get her tested. What does her teacher have to say?

soymujer
by Mikki on May. 2, 2014 at 6:46 PM

Never heard of it.

family in the van   Mom of four

DrDoofenshmirtz
by Silver Member on May. 3, 2014 at 6:41 PM
1 mom liked this

I haven't used the system, but a friend did for her DD who presented EXACTLY teh same as your DD.  Started 2nd at level E, made some gains with support at school and intense in class instruction, but not nearly enough.  She started the Wilson system and did intense summer work and was able to pretty much catch up.  She was also evaluated by a psychologist and found to be dyslexic. 

Your DD is at level K, but should be at M.  In my experience, there is a BIG difference in those levels, even though it is only 2 levels.  Most of DD's class has spent about 1/2 the year working on level M, so for a kid behind, that could be even longer. 

Our school uses the Wilson spelling system for all kids (giving challenge options for those who are ready) and I have found it to be very good. 

Dodie702
by Doriane on May. 3, 2014 at 10:59 PM
Me neither.

Quoting soymujer:

Never heard of it.

diaperstodating
by Angel on May. 3, 2014 at 11:05 PM
My son has dyslexia, it didn't work for him.
Bump
raczac
by Cindi on May. 4, 2014 at 4:48 AM
Does her school teach reading using phonics and sight words?
amber3902
by Member on May. 5, 2014 at 8:16 AM

I honestly don't know.

When she was in kindergarten and first grade, it seemed the emphasis was more on sight words, though they claimed they taught phonics, I didn't see a lot of that.  She's in a different school now for second grade.

Quoting raczac: Does her school teach reading using phonics and sight words?

raczac
by Cindi on May. 5, 2014 at 8:32 AM
1 mom liked this
I was taught .at first bu sight words and couldn't remember sounding out words at all. I was in 4th grade and reading on a 1st grade level they wanted to hold me back but my mom by it me a tutor that taught reading using phonics and sight words. Over the summer I went from reading on a 1st grade level to reading on a 7th grade level and also hating to read to loving it and today I still love to read. If you can find a tutor that can teach her how to read over again using phonics and sight words this may help her.

Quoting amber3902:

I honestly don't know.

When she was in kindergarten and first grade, it seemed the emphasis was more on sight words, though they claimed they taught phonics, I didn't see a lot of that.  She's in a different school now for second grade.

Quoting raczac: Does her school teach reading using phonics and sight words?

Dixieangel35
by Member on May. 5, 2014 at 10:09 AM
Your family doctor will test for ADHD. Ask him for the questioner the next time you go.

Quoting amber3902:

There's a history of learning disabilities in the family.  Her older sister has an auditory processing disorder and ADHD.

I haven't talked to her teacher about the dyslexia yet.  Eariler in the year her teacher suggested getting her tested for ADHD, so when I get the appointment, I will have her evaluated for that as well. It's just the waiting list to get an appointment can be up to six months long, so it will be a while before I find out what, if anything is wrong with her.

Quoting matofour: First, get her tested. Does dyslexia run in the family? My daughter uses Orten gillenham/Wilson. She's dyslexic. It works well for her. But, before you switch anything get her tested. What does her teacher have to say?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)