Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Head lice? Go to school ANYWAY!

Posted by on May. 2, 2014 at 10:44 AM
  • 87 Replies

Poll

Question: Would you send your child to school WITH active head lice?

Options:

yes

no

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 175

View Results

I was shocked last night when our local news station ran a story about our school district voting to no longer excuse children from school who have head lice. According to district personnel, its better for the child to go to school anyway -- WITH ACTIVE HEAD LICE -- rather than to miss a single day TREATING the infection!! IMO -- this is simply a way of ensuring the district wont miss even a day receiving funding for that particular student .... and the ones he infects. Your thoughts?

by on May. 2, 2014 at 10:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on May. 2, 2014 at 10:56 AM
1 mom liked this
I wouldn't send my kids to public school if you paid me though...
Marti123
by Member on May. 2, 2014 at 11:17 AM
2 moms liked this

I teach in a graduate nursing program, and agreed with you until one of my students wrote their health promotion project on head lice prevention program. The research & evidence does NOT demonstrate that keeping infected students home from school for treatment slows, decreases or stops transmission of the lice. However staying home from school does result at time in negative social ramifications (being singled out & identified) and loss of progress in school. 

It really opened my eyes. And honestly after reading the paper, I probably would not keep my children home if/when they were/are infected.

I am not clear how public school funding for children works, but I didn't think it was on  "day per day" basis, is it??

debramommyof4
by on May. 2, 2014 at 11:22 AM
1 mom liked this
They do that in my district as well. I am so glad we homeschool or I would be in trouble with the truancy officer. My kids would miss for it and it can take forever to get rid of.
mom2jessnky
by Silver Member on May. 2, 2014 at 11:47 AM
1 mom liked this

My kids' doctor said a kid shouldn't miss school for lice.

Fairywings1223
by on May. 2, 2014 at 11:50 AM
1 mom liked this

My kids school sends them home for bugs and nits.

LovlyRita
by Bronze Member on May. 2, 2014 at 11:51 AM
1 mom liked this
I would keep my kids home for a day or two just to get a few treatments in and spend a few hours combing. Last time we had an incident I caught it early and we were lice free within a couple of days, but everything I have read suggests that there is no need to keep them home.
AtiFreeFalls
by Member on May. 2, 2014 at 11:56 AM
1 mom liked this

My daughter got lice from her classmates early this year.  While it's gross and uncomfortable lice don't spread disease and there is no reason to freak out about it.  The school she was in when she had lice told me she was cleared to go back to school whenever, that they don't notify parents about lice any more and they don't send kids home for it.

I kept my daughter home one day to treat the lice, just for her own comfort.  She coudln't pay attention in school because she was so itchy.  When it was time to re-treat for the newly-hatched baby lice I sent her to school and treated her afterward.

No one else in our home got lice, and it really wasn't a big deal.  We talked about not sharing hats and stuff, but they don't really spread that way anyway.  

I had lice once as a kid and it sucks, but it's not the end of the world.  Just treat and move on. 

AtiFreeFalls
by Member on May. 2, 2014 at 12:05 PM
2 moms liked this

I think the reason it can take so long to get rid of for some people is that they don't treat it correctly.  They don't wet comb every day for two weeks after the second treatment, they don't re-treat 7-10 days after the first shampoo treatment, they dont heat treat bedding and clothing.   

Quoting debramommyof4: They do that in my district as well. I am so glad we homeschool or I would be in trouble with the truancy officer. My kids would miss for it and it can take forever to get rid of.

debramommyof4
by on May. 2, 2014 at 12:16 PM
1 mom liked this
Oh I did that stuff for a month straight and it took that whole time to get rid of it. We got it from a kid at a ball field and I did everything and it would not go away.

My kids are still getting their heads combed out once a week just to ensure that they never get them back. Plus we added tea tree oil to all their shampoos and conditioners and when we go out in public their hair is always pulled back.

Quoting AtiFreeFalls:

I think the reason it can take so long to get rid of for some people is that they don't treat it correctly.  They don't wet comb every day for two weeks after the second treatment, they don't re-treat 7-10 days after the first shampoo treatment, they dont heat treat bedding and clothing.   

Quoting debramommyof4: They do that in my district as well. I am so glad we homeschool or I would be in trouble with the truancy officer. My kids would miss for it and it can take forever to get rid of.

AtiFreeFalls
by Member on May. 2, 2014 at 12:18 PM

That sounds miserable!  It must have been one of those types of lice you hear about that are resistant to the insecticide shampoos :(

Quoting debramommyof4: Oh I did that stuff for a month straight and it took that whole time to get rid of it. We got it from a kid at a ball field and I did everything and it would not go away. My kids are still getting their heads combed out once a week just to ensure that they never get them back. Plus we added tea tree oil to all their shampoos and conditioners and when we go out in public their hair is always pulled back.
Quoting AtiFreeFalls:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)