Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

How does he not know he needs to potty?

Posted by on May. 3, 2014 at 12:00 AM
  • 39 Replies
DS is 5 and he still goes in his pants. Tonight I walked in his room and he is sitting over behind his little work desk with poop in his pants. I changed him and asked him why and he said he didn't know he had to poop. Well, if he "doesn't know" why does he go off and hide behind something to do it? Any of you have or have had this problem?
by on May. 3, 2014 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Gold Member on May. 3, 2014 at 12:17 AM

It sounds like it could be emotional or behavioral.  Have you or he talked to the doctor about it?  There are cases where a persons muscles there are too lax so there is no control.  Children hide since they are afraid of being yelled at or disciplined.

JanieJo
by Member on May. 3, 2014 at 12:24 AM
Yes, have been mentioning potty training to dr for over a year, not too much advice on how to help. I'm sure it's behavioral but I don't know what to do. He doesn't even seem to care he does it.

Quoting frndlyfn:

It sounds like it could be emotional or behavioral.  Have you or he talked to the doctor about it?  There are cases where a persons muscles there are too lax so there is no control.  Children hide since they are afraid of being yelled at or disciplined.

Andrewsmom70
by Gold Member on May. 3, 2014 at 12:39 AM
6 moms liked this

Why are you changing him? He needs to be responsible to clean up his mess, not you. He's not an infant. He can clean his own mess, including washing out his crappy underwear (with your supervision).

GodsGirl03
by New Member on May. 3, 2014 at 12:47 AM

Ugh, mine is 10 and he just has pretty much stopped that....

His problem was that he would be to busy playing...and not want to take time out to use the potty.  I never could understand though how he could stand to be in poopy  or wet pants...gross

JanieJo
by Member on May. 3, 2014 at 12:48 AM
He does when he wets. But when he's messy I have to make sure he gets all the way clean. He will go get the wipes and a fresh pull up or undies. Trying to have him clean it is a disaster

Quoting Andrewsmom70:

Why are you changing him? He needs to be responsible to clean up his mess, not you. He's not an infant. He can clean his own mess, including washing out his crappy underwear (with your supervision).

JanieJo
by Member on May. 3, 2014 at 12:50 AM
I know exactly what you mean

Quoting GodsGirl03:

Ugh, mine is 10 and he just has pretty much stopped that....

His problem was that he would be to busy playing...and not want to take time out to use the potty.  I never could understand though how he could stand to be in poopy  or wet pants...gross

Andrewsmom70
by Gold Member on May. 3, 2014 at 1:01 AM

Teach him the right way to do it and hold him accountable.

How else are you dealing with the messes besides babying him? Is he being punished in any way? Has he ever gone long periods without having messes?

Quoting JanieJo: He does when he wets. But when he's messy I have to make sure he gets all the way clean. He will go get the wipes and a fresh pull up or undies. Trying to have him clean it is a disaster
Quoting Andrewsmom70:

Andrewsmom70
by Gold Member on May. 3, 2014 at 1:02 AM

And why is he in pull ups? Does he have developmental delays?

Quoting JanieJo: He does when he wets. But when he's messy I have to make sure he gets all the way clean. He will go get the wipes and a fresh pull up or undies. Trying to have him clean it is a disaster
Quoting Andrewsmom70:

JanieJo
by Member on May. 3, 2014 at 1:04 AM
He has always had them. I'm sure if I stopped babying him it would get better. It's tough for me being his only parent.

Quoting Andrewsmom70:

How else are you dealing with the messes besides babying him? Is he being punished in any way? Has he ever gone long periods without having messes?

Quoting Andrewsmom70:

Andrewsmom70
by Gold Member on May. 3, 2014 at 1:07 AM

So your excuse is that you are a single mom? I'm sorry but that's not excuse. I'm a single mom.

What sort of punishments are you giving him? What are the consequences of him making the choice to soil himself?

Quoting JanieJo: He has always had them. I'm sure if I stopped babying him it would get better. It's tough for me being his only parent.
Quoting Andrewsmom70:

Quoting Andrewsmom70:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)