Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Geomerty just when I thought it couldn't get any worse!

Posted by on May. 3, 2014 at 9:12 AM
  • 49 Replies

DD is in 1st grade we finally got addition and subtraction down into the double digits. Now geometry solid shapes,flip, slide, rotation,etc. We have  tutor for summer and her teacher is having her stay after school to help her. I bought bunch of workbooks for at home. You can see it in DD eyes she had no clue.

This is so frustrating.

by on May. 3, 2014 at 9:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
katiebug840204
by Katie on May. 3, 2014 at 9:13 AM
Things are being taught earlier and earlier nowadays.
ABCMomma0211
by on May. 3, 2014 at 9:16 AM
2 moms liked this
Say thanks to common core!

They shouldnt be teaching thise things in first grade.

I didnt learn that til 4-5
mjande4
by Platinum Member on May. 3, 2014 at 9:23 AM
8 moms liked this

That has NOTHING to do with common core! My daughter and sons all were learning those same concepts in kindergarten and they are 15, 13, and 11, WAY before common core. I  teach high school geometry and those concepts are at the very basic level. To tell you the truth, preschoolers/toddlers learn geometry concepts BEFORE addition and subtraction. What category do you think shapes fall under!?

mom2jessnky
by Bronze Member on May. 3, 2014 at 9:56 AM

I don't think it's that out there to expect kids to know shapes.

If your math is anything like the math my kid does, next year (2nd grade) you'll be doing multiplication, division, and fractions.

ljmom24
by Bronze Member on May. 3, 2014 at 10:01 AM
2 moms liked this

Geomerty was the one math I just couldn't get so yes was freaked to see my kid have geometry have it in grade school but just like it wasn't anything like my first grade, it wasn't anything like my high school geometry...THANK GOD...hey and maybe if I got some basics before 9th grade I wouldn't have been so lost. Oh and we haven't adpoted common core and its been in elementry school math since before my oldest started school.

MelanieJK
by on May. 3, 2014 at 10:03 AM

Maybe she needs to stay in 1st grade another year?       There's a threshhold of getting stuff and for some it just takes longer.     if she's really applying herself and still has no clue,   applying a lot of pressure might actually work against her getting it.  

maxswolfsuit
by Max on May. 3, 2014 at 10:03 AM
3 moms liked this

Quoting ABCMomma0211: Say thanks to common core! They shouldnt be teaching thise things in first grade. I didnt learn that til 4-5

Our first graders have been learning this for my entire teaching career. This has NOTHING to do with Common Core.

maxswolfsuit
by Max on May. 3, 2014 at 10:06 AM

Quoting ABCMomma0211: Say thanks to common core! They shouldnt be teaching thise things in first grade. I didnt learn that til 4-5

Here are the first grade CC standards for Geometry. Do you really think this is unreasonable?

Reason with shapes and their attributes.

CCSS.MATH.CONTENT.1.G.A.1
Distinguish between defining attributes (e.g., triangles are closed and three-sided) versus non-defining attributes (e.g., color, orientation, overall size); build and draw shapes to possess defining attributes.
CCSS.MATH.CONTENT.1.G.A.2
Compose two-dimensional shapes (rectangles, squares, trapezoids, triangles, half-circles, and quarter-circles) or three-dimensional shapes (cubes, right rectangular prisms, right circular cones, and right circular cylinders) to create a composite shape, and compose new shapes from the composite shape.1
This just means they have to draw shapes and put shapes together to make other shapes. 

CCSS.MATH.CONTENT.1.G.A.3
Partition circles and rectangles into two and four equal shares, describe the shares using the words halvesfourths, and quarters, and use the phrases half offourth of, and quarter of. Describe the whole as two of, or four of the shares. Understand for these examples that decomposing into more equal shares creates smaller shares.
ABCMomma0211
by on May. 3, 2014 at 10:10 AM
Uhm yeah it is.

First grade doesnt need to know how to do geometry!

Its common core, period.

Before common core came about first graders were learning simple math

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

Quoting ABCMomma0211: Say thanks to common core!

They shouldnt be teaching thise things in first grade.

I didnt learn that til 4-5

Here are the first grade CC standards for Geometry. Do you really think this is unreasonable?

CCSS.MATH.CONTENT.1.G.A.1Distinguish between defining attributes (e.g., triangles are closed and three-sided) versus non-defining attributes (e.g., color, orientation, overall size); build and draw shapes to possess defining attributes.
CCSS.MATH.CONTENT.1.G.A.2Compose two-dimensional shapes (rectangles, squares, trapezoids, triangles, half-circles, and quarter-circles) or three-dimensional shapes (cubes, right rectangular prisms, right circular cones, and right circular cylinders) to create a composite shape, and compose new shapes from the composite shape.1
This just means they have to draw shapes and put shapes together to make other shapes. 

CCSS.MATH.CONTENT.1.G.A.3Partition circles and rectangles into two and four equal shares, describe the shares using the words halvesfourths, and quarters, and use the phrases half offourth of, and quarter of. Describe the whole as two of, or four of the shares. Understand for these examples that decomposing into more equal shares creates smaller shares.
mjande4
by Platinum Member on May. 3, 2014 at 10:12 AM
2 moms liked this

I don't know what level of education YOU have, but being able to identify shapes and transformations IS simple math! SMH

Quoting ABCMomma0211: Uhm yeah it is. First grade doesnt need to know how to do geometry! Its common core, period. Before common core came about first graders were learning simple math
Quoting maxswolfsuit:

CCSS.MATH.CONTENT.1.G.A.1Distinguish between defining attributes (e.g., triangles are closed and three-sided) versus non-defining attributes (e.g., color, orientation, overall size); build and draw shapes to possess defining attributes.
CCSS.MATH.CONTENT.1.G.A.2Compose two-dimensional shapes (rectangles, squares, trapezoids, triangles, half-circles, and quarter-circles) or three-dimensional shapes (cubes, right rectangular prisms, right circular cones, and right circular cylinders) to create a composite shape, and compose new shapes from the composite shape.1

CCSS.MATH.CONTENT.1.G.A.3Partition circles and rectangles into two and four equal shares, describe the shares using the words halvesfourths, and quarters, and use the phrases half offourth of, and quarter of. Describe the whole as two of, or four of the shares. Understand for these examples that decomposing into more equal shares creates smaller shares.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)