Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

What's the plan for Teacher Appreciation week 2014?

Posted by on May. 3, 2014 at 11:04 AM
  • 23 Replies

Teacher appreciation week is this coming week. Does your school participate? Meaning, do they have assemblies or special events for teachers during the week?

At our school, the PTO as well as the dads watchdog program provide a catered breakfast one day and a catered lunch another day for the teachers. On Friday, they have a morning assembly to show appreication for the teachers.

I was just wondering if your schools do anything special during this week. 

by on May. 3, 2014 at 11:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
maxswolfsuit
by Max on May. 3, 2014 at 11:07 AM

We just got a schedule from the PTO president. 

There will be a daily drawing for a gift card. 

We are getting lunch one day and breakfast another. 

We get a gift. It's usually something like a lunch box or tote bag with the school logo on it. 

I can't remember the other things. But each day there is a little something. 

Reina13
by Bronze Member on May. 3, 2014 at 11:13 AM

That is great.

I like the idea of the daily drawing. They did that at our old school district, but Im not sure if they do that here. 

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

We just got a schedule from the PTO president. 

There will be a daily drawing for a gift card. 

We are getting lunch one day and breakfast another. 

We get a gift. It's usually something like a lunch box or tote bag with the school logo on it. 

I can't remember the other things. But each day there is a little something. 

Avarah
by Bronze Member on May. 3, 2014 at 2:48 PM

I'm a little bit cranky with our PTA.  They've made this much harder than it has to be. 

Instead of sending out an email with a reminder to maybe send a nice snack for the teachers lounge and to think to remember your teacher with a nice note (or a gift if you're so moved), they've assigned a task for the kids each day (yes, they're not hard, but grr! more to remember!) and not only assigned a day per grade level, but a type of snack, as well.

Honestly? I think I'm mostly upset over it because the labels they've given everything are so relentlessly stupid they offend me.  I think assigning each grade level a day to bring snacks is awesome, but do I need to be given "energize your team" day and given the options of 5 different stupid things (yes, there's an "other" option so they must read cafemom! lol)?

It just feels so micromanaged, and I really, really, really dislike the need to give shit cutesy names for no good reason. And yes, I'm 100% sure I'm overreacting and I'll do what I was going to do anyway, but still..

Here is our schedule:

Quote:

Teacher Appreciation Week is next week, May 5-9, and we want to show our ALL STAR teachers our appreciation for all they do! Each day students will cheer on their teachers in a special way. 

Monday - TEAM spirit (students wear teacher's favorite color) 
Tuesday - Class Sportsmanship and REACH (students should be extra helpful and polite) 
Wednesday - Team Equipment Day (bring in school supplies)
Thursday - Fabulous Fans (students should give high fives, hugs, and cheers)
Friday - Who's Your MVP? (students can write a note or draw a picture for their teachers)

We also ask that each grade level contribute food to serve to our teachers throughout the week. The teachers REALLY appreciate when the PTA and parents serve them food, and if we all pitch in, it will be an EASY and HEARTFELT way to show our appreciation. PLEASE CONTRIBUTE...

Monday: 2nd Grade (Concession Stand snacks)
Tuesday: 3rd grade (breakfast of Champions)
Wednesday: PreK, K, 5th grades (Energize the Team)
Thursday:4th grade (Grand Slam Salads)
Friday: 1st grade (All Star Sweetness)

All contributions should be delivered by 9am. You can click here to sign up on the Volunteer Site!

disneymom2two
by Silver Member on May. 3, 2014 at 5:29 PM

In the past, we've had different things every day - 1 day lunch, 1 day breakfast, 1 day desserts, 1 day massage school came in and did 15 minute chair massages, and 1 day we got a classroom related gift.  This year, our principal has asked that we only celebrate on Monday because state testing takes place this week.  A local restaurant is donating lunch that day.  Teachers have been asked that night to serve at McDonalds as a fundraiser waiting on the students and their families.  I won't be doing that since I have to get my son to a meet.

nomadbrat83
by Bronze Member on May. 3, 2014 at 5:30 PM
Everyday is an event all week. This year is a Dr. Suess theme.
mommy053008
by Maria on May. 3, 2014 at 5:35 PM
We've already had it
thatgirl70
by Bronze Member on May. 3, 2014 at 8:56 PM

Thank you for mentioning this! I wondered when it was because I definitely wanted to do something nice for my son's teachers.

There is a Walk For Education week event next week (example: crazy theme days), but nothing geared specifically for TAW that I can tell. It's something I'll have to look into.

ljmom24
by Silver Member on May. 3, 2014 at 9:17 PM
Next week starts the next round of state testing so no our school isn't doing anything. The pto will have a lunch for teachers closer to end of school in June.
hma1216
by Member on May. 3, 2014 at 10:47 PM
We don't have an active PTA. Our principal
Puts homemade treats in our box everyday. That's it. Our kids rarely do anything for us either.
Dodie702
by Doriane on May. 3, 2014 at 10:51 PM
Not sure about the school, but I am sending a present with dd for her teacher.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN