Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Is your state getting rid of Common Core?

Posted by on May. 3, 2014 at 11:44 AM
Max
  • 81 Replies
5 moms liked this

Mine is. 

Fl has officially jumped ship on Common Core and I am irate

If you've read through some of the threads in the group you may assume it's because I like the standards. And I do like them. 

But chances are I would be just as happy with other standards as well. It's my job to teach the standards I am mandated to teach. Honestly, I don't care what they are as long as they are appropriate. I have the freedom to teach how I want to and I am confident my students will thrive no matter what standards I am given. 

So why am I so upset?

It's because Florida (I suspect like other states abandoning CC) has announced we will be teaching our own set of standards. But guess what? They are 95% identical to the Common Core standards that have been vilified by so many. 

This enrages me (no not, an exaggeration) because it's blatant political manipulation. If the citizens and politicians of Florida really felt Common Core wasn't best for the state and came up with something better that would be fine. But that's not what happened. They came up with a new name for Common Core and they are pretending they came up with something better. 

And the part that makes me the maddest is that it's worked like a charm. All over my Facebook and when I run into people they are so happy we've gotten rid of Common Core. It couldn't be more clear that all these people who are so concerned about CC haven't even bothered to read it. And they won't bother to read the "new" standards replacing it. 

But since Facebook and the rest of the internet won't be flooded with deceiving blog posts about how horrible the Florida standards are everyone will assume they must be much better. 

It's so frustrating to know that most people are unwilling to take the time and effort to read the standards and understand what they really are. So many are content to let other people's opinions stand as facts. It's a sad statement on society. 

That's my rant of the day. Thanks for reading. 

by on May. 3, 2014 at 11:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mom2jessnky
by Bronze Member on May. 3, 2014 at 11:49 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm pretty sure my current state is keeping it (California).

I wish people would stop being so willfully ignorant about CC, but I suppose that is asking too much...

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on May. 3, 2014 at 11:50 AM
I completely agree with you.

People need to actually educate themselves with facts instead of opinions.
mom2jessnky
by Bronze Member on May. 3, 2014 at 11:51 AM
2 moms liked this

That could be applied to a lot of things sadly...

Quoting steelcrazy: I completely agree with you. People need to actually educate themselves with facts instead of opinions.

jackiewal10
by Member on May. 3, 2014 at 11:51 AM
5 moms liked this

As of now, Illinois is not.  I'm surprised that you like Common Core so much though.  My DH teaches 5th grade and HATES it.  Not the standards.  He hates all the jumping through hoops.  That it has the potential to affect his job.  The extra work it takes to teach the same material in such a ass-backwards way that even the KIDS are having an impossible time...

waytomanykids10
by Bronze Member on May. 3, 2014 at 11:54 AM
1 mom liked this
I don't know if our state is or not. In my state we can home school to our standards which is what we do. My kids learn on their time schedule.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MelanieJK
by on May. 3, 2014 at 11:57 AM

The governor has called for a review and candidates for various things are being ask to take a stand so it's getting wound up.   

Business groups here support it so far because what we had before wasn't working for them.    I think they'll need to have a solid alternative to get rid of it but it's hard to say how it'll develop.      

maxswolfsuit
by Max on May. 3, 2014 at 12:30 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting jackiewal10:

As of now, Illinois is not.  I'm surprised that you like Common Core so much though.  My DH teaches 5th grade and HATES it.  Not the standards.  He hates all the jumping through hoops.  That it has the potential to affect his job.  The extra work it takes to teach the same material in such a ass-backwards way that even the KIDS are having an impossible time...

If Illinois is making him jump through hoops that's their issue. I am not teaching anything ass backwards. I am teaching the standards the way I want to.

maxswolfsuit
by Max on May. 3, 2014 at 12:30 PM

It sure could. 

Quoting mom2jessnky:

That could be applied to a lot of things sadly...

Quoting steelcrazy: I completely agree with you. People need to actually educate themselves with facts instead of opinions.

hma1216
by Member on May. 3, 2014 at 2:21 PM
It depends on what subject you teach as well. A lot of the math in elementary is backwards.

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

Quoting jackiewal10:

If Illinois is making him jump through hoops that's their issue. I am not teaching anything ass backwards. I am teaching the standards the way I want to.

deadlights86
by Bronze Member on May. 3, 2014 at 2:24 PM
I don't think Ohio even has common core yet.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)