Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Sooo.. we went to kinder roundup and...

Posted by on May. 4, 2014 at 12:41 AM
  • 36 Replies

The teachers kept telling everyone OVER and OVER how ******IMPORTANT****** it is that the kids know how to write... with correct form.. upper and lower case BEFORE first day of school.. etc etc etc.. ,( not spelling words but just writing their letters correctly). Reading them books was a close second but they seriously emphasized the writing bit.. I couldn't believe how much they kept saying it.. there were four kinder teachers.. we would sit in their classroom for 15mins while they talked about what will be taught... what is expected.. showed us some current class work from students etc then we would go to the next teacher and repeat the process all over..

Anyway.. My child is in preschool so he's been writing since last fall. They still make him fill out handwriting papers and as time has passed instead of getting BETTER it's getting WORSE.. very sloppy handwriting.. YET when my son draws us a picture or writes his own letters, (just gibberish words) the letters are PERFECT... So, I asked him what was up.. I mean why are these always so sloppy?!?!?! and he told me that it isn't fun and it's BORING. He also holds his pen/pencil caveman style.. instead of the correct way.. the teacher has tried in vain just as much as we have to get him to write holding his pencil/pen correctly, (we have tried all kinds of pencil grips).. with no success.. the only times he has done it correctly is when an older kid, (who he didn't know) told him he was holding it wrong.. then POOF he showed us that he is fully capable for holding his pen/pencil correctly.. yet continues the caveman hold when no big kids are around.. it's so aggravating because I KNOW he can do it.... ***BUT*** I UNDERSTAND he's bored.. I would be bored too writing my name over and over and all the letters etc.. I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO.. My neighbor.. who I consider a Queen Mom.. you know the type.. organized.. knows her shiz.... etc.. I love her.. I always go to her for advice and she told me to sit him down with a timer and force him to write it correctly not letting him get up unless he does it correctly, (like if he spends the entire 10mins writing sloppy that he wouldn't be done until he actually did what I asked etc).. Sounds good but I was wondering if anyone here might have any advice to throw in? 

by on May. 4, 2014 at 12:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
biomom1437
by on May. 4, 2014 at 1:07 AM

my dd is going to be starting pre - school in the fall.. so i have no idea what is expected of kindergardeners in my district yet.. however i am going to research it b4 her second yr of pre - school starts..

but when i took my dd in to see her pre - school class the other day it just seemed like schools r expecting way too much from kindergardeners these days and i am not sure i am going to be doing public school after pre - school.. if i don't like what my child must know for kindergarden, i will homeschool..

pink.lemonade
by on May. 4, 2014 at 1:15 AM

DUDE.. SERIOUSLY I had a panic attack when we left kinder roundup.. it has changed so much.. I could NOT sleep.. they were writing SENTENCES.. granted the spelling was OFF.. like laft instead of laughed.. they don't work on spelling but sounding out the words and spelling it how they think it's spelled, (from what the teacher said when i asked about it because I was shocked to see kindergartners writing sentences..I MEAN paragraphs.. it was INSANE). I'm not against it.. it's great to see that young minds are fully capable of it but at the same time i'm thinking.. where the hell is the playtime where they get to have imaginative play and get dirty/messy and eat glue etc..?!?!?! it felt like it was ALL WORK and NO play..

My neighbor has three kids and the youngest is in kinder right now and she agreed with me that it is all work and no play.. i'm shocked.. i'm truly shocked.. our preschool has been great.. they have playtime etc.. but they also do real work.. they just started reading books.. i was amazed my kid could read.. i was NOT expecting that at all in preschool! my child thrived this entire year in preschool and I am so nervous on what kinder will be like.. it's freaking me out that I just want to make sure he's up to par and that he's not behind.. if the teachers want him writing then.. fine.. i better get on it.. so stressed.. heh. Even my husband made a comment that our kid's writing was HORRIBLE compared to what we saw in class/hanging up in the hall ways.. I'm glad he knows he's ABCs etc but writing them correctly with correct form.. sheesh.. 

Quoting biomom1437:

my dd is going to be starting pre - school in the fall.. so i have no idea what is expected of kindergardeners in my district yet.. however i am going to research it b4 her second yr of pre - school starts..

but when i took my dd in to see her pre - school class the other day it just seemed like schools r expecting way too much from kindergardeners these days and i am not sure i am going to be doing public school after pre - school.. if i don't like what my child must know for kindergarden, i will homeschool..

mjande4
by Platinum Member on May. 4, 2014 at 1:45 AM

How old is he? Maybe he's not ready maturity wise.

pink.lemonade
by on May. 4, 2014 at 1:53 AM

He's five.. he's ready.. he can sit still for learning and does really well in preschool.. the teachers have stated he's ready maturity wise.. as I have said he's capable of writing the way he should be.. he refuses to do it correctly because it's boring.. it's sloppy because he wants to rush through it and get to the next subject. When he feels it's needed he will do it right.. but when they give him the handwriting papers to work on, (they give every kid the same papers) he will rush through it to get it done and it will be sloppy. i'm thinking of forcing him during the summer so he gets used to it and understands it's important no matter what that it needs to be done correctly. We assumed he didn't understand how to hold the pencil correctly.. then some kid walked by us at a restaurant and told him he was holding it wrong, (an older kid) and my kid automatically started doing it correctly.. when the boy left he went back to doing it his way. and yesterday when our older neighbor kid, (she's in third) came over to play with our son they were at his desk drawing and writing letters and i noticed he was holding his pencil the way he should.. but i know it's because the older kid was there and he was wanting to impress her, (she is his favorite neighbor)

Quoting mjande4:

mjande4
by Platinum Member on May. 4, 2014 at 1:56 AM

Maybe explain if he can't do things correctly, then he doesn't get to go to kindergarten and needs to stay in preschool.

Quoting pink.lemonade:

He's five.. he's ready.. he can sit still for learning and does really well in preschool.. the teachers have stated he's ready maturity wise.. as I have said he's capable of writing the way he should be.. he refuses to do it correctly because it's boring.. it's sloppy because he wants to rush through it and get to the next subject. When he feels it's needed he will do it right.. but when they give him the handwriting papers to work on, (they give every kid the same papers) he will rush through it to get it done and it will be sloppy. i'm thinking of forcing him during the summer so he gets used to it and understands it's important no matter what that it needs to be done correctly. We assumed he didn't understand how to hold the pencil correctly.. then some kid walked by us at a restaurant and told him he was holding it wrong, (an older kid) and my kid automatically started doing it correctly.. when the boy left he went back to doing it his way. and yesterday when our older neighbor kid, (she's in third) came over to play with our son they were at his desk drawing and writing letters and i noticed he was holding his pencil the way he should.. but i know it's because the older kid was there and he was wanting to impress her, (she is his favorite neighbor)

Quoting mjande4:

dmom27
by Bronze Member on May. 4, 2014 at 2:10 AM
My son is just finishing Kinder, and his brother will start in the fall. It is amazing what they are doing now. My son gets REALLY bored writing the same stuff over and over. I've had to find ways to make it fun. Stories, races, games. I even get a notebook and write along with him. He writes his name on his page, I write mine in the notebook. He writes numbers 1-10 and so do I. Then we compare. A lot of times they have to draw and picture, and then write sentences about it. We each do it, and then do storytime to tell each other what we wrote. Sometimes, I let him be the "teacher," so he can show me how to write correctly or hold my pencil. He knows how to do it right, he just doesn't want to when he's bored. He likes reminding me what to do though, and it doesn't seem so tedious, I think...
pink.lemonade
by on May. 4, 2014 at 2:13 AM

OHH great idea with let him be the teacher.. he loves to teach us things.. writing has never been one but i could totally see him doing it right lol.. I will have to try that. 

Quoting dmom27: My son is just finishing Kinder, and his brother will start in the fall. It is amazing what they are doing now. My son gets REALLY bored writing the same stuff over and over. I've had to find ways to make it fun. Stories, races, games. I even get a notebook and write along with him. He writes his name on his page, I write mine in the notebook. He writes numbers 1-10 and so do I. Then we compare. A lot of times they have to draw and picture, and then write sentences about it. We each do it, and then do storytime to tell each other what we wrote. Sometimes, I let him be the "teacher," so he can show me how to write correctly or hold my pencil. He knows how to do it right, he just doesn't want to when he's bored. He likes reminding me what to do though, and it doesn't seem so tedious, I think...

pink.lemonade
by on May. 4, 2014 at 2:14 AM
1 mom liked this

as much as I would LOVE for him to stay in preschool, (because I LOVE IT and the teachers are awesome).. I can't use a threat that i can't follow through with. he's going to kinder whether he wants to or not. haha. 

Quoting mjande4:

Maybe explain if he can't do things correctly, then he doesn't get to go to kindergarten and needs to stay in preschool.

Quoting pink.lemonade:

Quoting mjande4:

ardiaxe
by on May. 4, 2014 at 2:54 AM
I held my son back a year because he could barely write. He would have been just turning five of I put him in kindergarten last year and I wanted him to master writing before entering. Now he is beyond ready, but it took me everyday to help him learn to write well. We worked on a lot of fine motor skills and started with individual letters. Right now he can copy sentences nicely and write out words when I spell them out for him.
raczac
by Cindi on May. 4, 2014 at 4:11 AM
1 mom liked this
Have you tried letting him write his name and letters in sidewalk chalk, sand, pudding or shaving cream. These are somethings I did with my boys before kindergarten and while they were in kindergarten. You can let him use a straw or something else to write in these things with.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)