Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

I highly recommend this app!

Posted by on May. 4, 2014 at 5:24 PM
Max
  • 87 Replies

I bought the app Teach Me Toddler when my oldest was a preschooler. It was a nice way to practice numbers, letters, shapes and colors. 

Here's the premise. A little mouse teacher asks you to identify the color, letter, number and color out of four choices. If you get it wrong she corrects you and tells you what you chose. The little mouse is very encouraging and kind. When you get a certain number  right(the parent can manage the setting) you get a sticker. The child can pick different backgrounds and choose the stickers to decorate them. 

My older son finished all the skills and really enjoyed the app. My three year old is now enjoying it. I thought it was a very cute app. 

But I just purchased Teach me First Grade and it's totally knocked my socks off. The first grade version focuses on addition and subtraction, identifying sight words, and spelling. The child works to earn coins that can be traded in a variety of different stores for cute items. My six year old is about to finish Kindergartner and it's by far the best app we've ever used. Here is why:

• It scaffolds instruction: In education scaffolding means offering students varying levels of support and removing that support as they progress. This app does a great job with that. For example, when my son started it all the math problems were illustrated. It would give him pictures to demonstrate the problem. When it was clear that he was acing all of them the app took that support away. He can still have the pictures if he presses a help button. 
  • It's not all multiple choice: The student is asked to "write" answers with their fingers. This not only eliminates guessing it also provides vital practice with letter and number formation. The program shows the child what it thinks the answer is and gives him a change to try again before submitting it.  And I have been pretty impressed by how well it interprets his writing.  
  • The level of instruction is just right: At least for my child. I have a hard time finding apps that either weren't way too easy or way too hard. The beginning reading stage is a tricky one to hit with technology and I am impressed with how this program does it. 

Do your kids use any apps you are particularly impressed with?

by on May. 4, 2014 at 5:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Andrewsmom70
by Gold Member on May. 4, 2014 at 5:38 PM
3 moms liked this
I sure hope the apps are not teaching geometry. It's WAY too early.

Lmbo
thatgirl70
by Bronze Member on May. 4, 2014 at 5:43 PM
I have quite a few on my iPad for my son, they have helped him a lot, especially math, science and reading.
frndlyfn
by Gold Member on May. 4, 2014 at 5:45 PM

We have a few.  I actually purchased one but can not remember the name.  We had free version first.   Only have a kindle so it limits more than having a smart phone.

maxswolfsuit
by Max on May. 4, 2014 at 5:46 PM
4 moms liked this

Quoting Andrewsmom70: I sure hope the apps are not teaching geometry. It's WAY too early. Lmbo

Unfortunately the preschool version has shapes. I've put both kids in therapy to deal with the trauma. We all know triangles are borderline child abuse for kids under 12. 

maxswolfsuit
by Max on May. 4, 2014 at 5:46 PM

Quoting thatgirl70: I have quite a few on my iPad for my son, they have helped him a lot, especially math, science and reading.

Any good ones that stand out?

ABCMomma0211
by on May. 4, 2014 at 5:47 PM
1 mom liked this
Or you sit and teach them yourselves.....
maxswolfsuit
by Max on May. 4, 2014 at 5:49 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting ABCMomma0211: Or you sit and teach them yourselves.....

Is is just physically impossible for you to respond to posts in a positive way?

My kids never touch an electronic device unless I am right there with them. No one said anything about apps taking the place of parental help. 

ABCMomma0211
by on May. 4, 2014 at 5:50 PM
That was positive....

Sit and teach them yourself.

How do you think my child knows so much?

Cuz i sat with her.

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

Quoting ABCMomma0211: Or you sit and teach them yourselves.....

Is is just physically impossible for you to respond to posts in a positive way?

My kids never touch an electronic device unless I am right there with them. No one said anything about apps taking the place of parental help. 

thatgirl70
by Bronze Member on May. 4, 2014 at 5:53 PM
1 mom liked this
Let me check when I get home, I'm out treating myself to a pedi. :) I don't want to give the wrong names, which I know I'm liable to do, LOL.

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

Quoting thatgirl70: I have quite a few on my iPad for my son, they have helped him a lot, especially math, science and reading.

maxswolfsuit
by Max on May. 4, 2014 at 5:57 PM

Good for you!

I did that last week. It was so nice :)

Quoting thatgirl70: Let me check when I get home, I'm out treating myself to a pedi. :) I don't want to give the wrong names, which I know I'm liable to do, LOL.
Quoting maxswolfsuit:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN