Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Math

Posted by on May. 4, 2014 at 8:42 PM
  • 31 Replies
My oldest is going into 3rd grade next year. They will be learning multiplcation, division and fractions. Is there any websites I can use to help him with these things or workbooks or anything I can printout for him to use. I will also be uusing flash cards with the multiplecation facts.
by on May. 4, 2014 at 8:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
DrDoofenshmirtz
by Silver Member on May. 4, 2014 at 8:46 PM

Are you trying to pre-teach?  If so, they will teach multiplication in two ways - repeated addition and as an array (a rectangle that is L x W).  I would work on it that way.  DD got a multiplication workbook from the Target dollar spot the summer before 2nd grade and worked through it.  It made total sense to her and she now has multiplication down.  They are doing some dividing in 2nd grade and we make up problems for her to work on mentally to help strengthen her number sense.  I would not do much with that formally until he has multiplication down.  Start with dividing by 2's, 5's and 10's when you do start though as those will be easiest.  (Same with multiplication.  Kids typically master 1, 2, 5, and 10 first.)

raczac
by Cindi on May. 4, 2014 at 8:58 PM
Im just trying to give him a head start on it before school next year so he doesn't get discouraged if it takes him some time getting the hang of it. They have to learn so much as it is in such a short period of time.

Quoting DrDoofenshmirtz:

Are you trying to pre-teach?  If so, they will teach multiplication in two ways - repeated addition and as an array (a rectangle that is L x W).  I would work on it that way.  DD got a multiplication workbook from the Target dollar spot the summer before 2nd grade and worked through it.  It made total sense to her and she now has multiplication down.  They are doing some dividing in 2nd grade and we make up problems for her to work on mentally to help strengthen her number sense.  I would not do much with that formally until he has multiplication down.  Start with dividing by 2's, 5's and 10's when you do start though as those will be easiest.  (Same with multiplication.  Kids typically master 1, 2, 5, and 10 first.)

frndlyfn
by on May. 4, 2014 at 9:02 PM

There are tons of workbooks at different stores for math.  DD is going into 3rd grade as well and they have started some of this stuff already in 2nd grade.  There are math websites as well that have games for these math topics that make learning it more fun than flash cards.

raczac
by Cindi on May. 4, 2014 at 9:05 PM
Thank you so much

Quoting frndlyfn:

There are tons of workbooks at different stores for math.  DD is going into 3rd grade as well and they have started some of this stuff already in 2nd grade.  There are math websites as well that have games for these math topics that make learning it more fun than flash cards.

frndlyfn
by on May. 4, 2014 at 9:09 PM

http://www.multiplication.com/games        is one you can try over the summer.  Also do not forget to review what he has learned this year so it is not lost by time school starts up.  You may be able to ask his teacher for some worksheets they did during the day that can be used for review.

Roo1234
by Bronze Member on May. 4, 2014 at 9:13 PM
Fact triangles (flash cards) were one of the most effective tools for teaching basic math facts to my children
raczac
by Cindi on May. 4, 2014 at 9:16 PM
Thank you

Quoting Roo1234: Fact triangles (flash cards) were one of the most effective tools for teaching basic math facts to my children
Txlisa7969
by Bronze Member on May. 4, 2014 at 9:25 PM

For a website try Coolmath.com  all of my kids have used it both at home and at school.

raczac
by Cindi on May. 4, 2014 at 9:34 PM
Thank you I will look into it.

Quoting Txlisa7969:

For a website try Coolmath.com  all of my kids have used it both at home and at school.

iuangina
by Member on May. 4, 2014 at 9:34 PM
Commoncoresheets.com

Scootpad.com
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)