Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Why do 7 year olds have such crazy teeth?

Posted by on May. 4, 2014 at 11:28 PM
  • 28 Replies

My oldest kid is 7, so I don't have a ton of experience with kids and their teeth, but she had super straight perfect teeth as a toddler then lost em and they came in all crazy. Crooked, gaps, the works. I'm on facebook with all of her classmates parents and their kids all look the same--straight teeth until they lost their baby teeth then they came in super crooked. Do they straighten out over time?

by on May. 4, 2014 at 11:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
vermontmoms
by Silver Member on May. 4, 2014 at 11:38 PM

Mobile Photo

Mobile Photo

Mobile Photo

Not that we experienced...

If they came in crooked they only got worse as more came in. My son was in braces at 8.

The first pic is of him at 4. The second pic was at age 8, the day he got his braces. His twin has had perfectly straight teeth the whole time and doesn't need braces (pic 3 at age 10).
SnortysMom
by CatMarie on May. 5, 2014 at 12:51 AM

Yeah, that's happening here. My DS had beautiful straight teeth until the baby ones started falling out and the adult ones started coming in. 

Oh well. He's already seen an orthodontist and we already know that when all the adult teeth come in, the braces will go on. 

thatgirl70
by Bronze Member on May. 5, 2014 at 12:58 AM

My 7 year old's is partially "out of whack" because of his thumb sucking, but also because he needs a frenectomy to remove the extra tissue between his two upper front teeth. He's going to need braces, no doubt, but if we don't do that, it's not going to fix that gap.

He's really starting to become self-concious about it too, much like I was when I was his age (and older) and had messed up teeth. I took him Saturday to get his pictures done and he had a great and fun time with it (he's a ham), but he resisted showing his teeth as much as he could. We pretty much had to get him giggling to do so.

frndlyfn
by Gold Member on May. 5, 2014 at 2:31 AM

I think they get messed up since until all adult teeth are in, the teeth are all fighting for same spaces but different sizes.  DD's teeth so far do not look too bad aside from the loose ones not wanting to leave her mouth LOL.  She is 8.

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on May. 5, 2014 at 8:42 AM

It is a space issue.  Baby teeth are much smaller than adult teeth, so they fit perfectly in a child's mouth.  As your child grows, their mouth also grows and eventually the teeth begin to fit better.  Or at least in theory they should begin to fit better as the mouth grows and all of their baby teeth fall out.

Think about how small the baby tooth that feel out was and how big the adult tooth that tooks its place is by comparison.  No wonder there is a struggle for space.

soymujer
by Mikki on May. 5, 2014 at 8:46 AM

I've heard that if a child has perfect baby teeth, then their permanant teeth will have problems.  I don't know if that is true or not.  My daughter's teeth didn't come that bad when she got hers in.

family in the van   Mom of four

Randi02
by Member on May. 5, 2014 at 8:50 AM
My kids teeth are coming in straight. They don't start losing until close to 8 though.

I can't imagine braces at 8, all of their teeth aren't even in.
mommy053008
by Maria on May. 5, 2014 at 8:58 AM

totally happened to my 5 yr old she has only lost two teeth but they are crazy

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
lizfnf
by Bronze Member on May. 5, 2014 at 9:01 AM

They will push together more as the molars come in.  My daughter's issue is she has really large teeth coming in.  As the adults are coming in they are literally shoving out the old remaining baby teeth neighbors.  They seem to be coming in straight, knock on wood, but I'm nervous that she will run out off room...

rockinmomto2
by on May. 5, 2014 at 9:16 AM

My DD is 8, and I have a feeling she'll need braces, but we're not even going there until all her adult teeth are in. Same with DS who just started losing his teeth at 6. Their teeth will come in as they will, and they'll get closer together and straighter as their mouths grow and all their adult teeth come in.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN