Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Spring/Summer Dress Code......

Posted by on May. 5, 2014 at 10:57 AM
  • 82 Replies

What is your opinion on elementary aged kids not being able to wear tank tops to school? Not spaghetti straps but like 1-3 inches of fabric on their shoulders.

I sent DDs teacher an email (since handbook was unclear whether it was talking about all or just spaghetti strap) and she told me she didn't agree with the code. It's against school dress code to wear shirts that don't cover your shoulder all the way. She told me that at least from Pre-k to fourth grade she didn't think it really mattered.

Circo® Girls' Tank Tops - Assorted

Above are two items I have bought my DD and neither of these are approprate to wear to school. They are about 2inches on the shoulders.

They are just kids and what is the big deal about it anyway?

by on May. 5, 2014 at 10:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
pinkfairy0206
by on May. 5, 2014 at 11:00 AM
3 moms liked this
I agree with it. I have 4 kids 3 of them girls. I'm very strict about what they wear. There is no reason for a little girl to wear spaghetti straps, or short shorts or dresses. I have to bite my tounge when I see little girls wearing inappropriate clothes.
cjsmom1
by Silver Member on May. 5, 2014 at 11:02 AM
3 moms liked this
I see no problem with tank tops.
frndlyfn
by Gold Member on May. 5, 2014 at 11:05 AM

Our school allows them.   I prefer dd wear short sleeve shirts rather than tank tops just for sun protection and harder for the shirt to get caught on things.

lenashark
by Bronze Member on May. 5, 2014 at 11:11 AM

I don't see a big deal, they just want to maintain a certain look, plus the straps on tank tops can slide down easily. Theres only one tank top I will even allow my son to wear to school anyway and that's because it covers most of the shoulder.

Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on May. 5, 2014 at 11:12 AM
5 moms liked this
People need to get over it and just follow the dress code. Your snowflake isnt gonne die if she cant wear the cutest summer blouse @@
ABCMomma0211
by on May. 5, 2014 at 11:14 AM
So girls cant wear dresses?

Dresses are appropriate for little girls!!!

Thats insane to say your little girls cat wear a dress!

Quoting pinkfairy0206: I agree with it. I have 4 kids 3 of them girls. I'm very strict about what they wear. There is no reason for a little girl to wear spaghetti straps, or short shorts or dresses. I have to bite my tounge when I see little girls wearing inappropriate clothes.
Femommy
by Member on May. 5, 2014 at 11:17 AM

I agree with the spaghetti straps and shorts but the 1-3 inches of fabric I don't agree. Below is a shirt I bought my DD and she has a maxi dress similar to the straps. Circo┬« Girls' Tank Tops - Assorted

Quoting pinkfairy0206: I agree with it. I have 4 kids 3 of them girls. I'm very strict about what they wear. There is no reason for a little girl to wear spaghetti straps, or short shorts or dresses. I have to bite my tounge when I see little girls wearing inappropriate clothes.

aj23
by Silver Member on May. 5, 2014 at 11:17 AM

I don't see the harm in little girls wearing tank tops but I can see why they have a dress code. Ours is pretty lenient and they allow tank tops until a certain grade but they shouldn't.
 There's one girl in my sons kindergarten class who wears things I would never let my child (if I had a girl) wear. Her shorts are often booty shorts and the straps on her tops are so lose that you can see everything the shirt is supposed to cover. They have to have dress codes because there are parents who just don't care.

mom2jessnky
by Silver Member on May. 5, 2014 at 11:18 AM
1 mom liked this

If they're covered I don't think the school should be in a snit about it.

Lorelai_Nicole
by Lorelai on May. 5, 2014 at 11:19 AM
1 mom liked this
At our schools, the straps have to be two fingers wide. I agree with you, though--it's stupid.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN