Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Common Core are standards....not common teaching systems or worksheets right?

Posted by on May. 8, 2014 at 1:06 PM
  • 25 Replies

I'm in favor of anything, whether its Common Core or something else, that makes our students learn more depth and be critical thinkers about subjects.  I know many people are against Common Core....not sure why....but I'm seeing people complain about their children's "Common Core homework" but, correct me if I'm wrong (Please!)....common core are more standards and system of learning rather than the actual worksheets and such, right?

by on May. 8, 2014 at 1:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Andrewsmom70
by Gold Member on May. 8, 2014 at 3:32 PM
3 moms liked this
Yes! How Common Core standards are taught is up to either state or local school systems. The worksheets and textbooks and that stuff is how they are taught not the actual standards themselves.
mom22tumblebugs
by Gold Member on May. 8, 2014 at 3:35 PM

My daughter's math workbook that comes home with her says its common core or CCSS. 

Andrewsmom70
by Gold Member on May. 8, 2014 at 5:48 PM
1 mom liked this
That means it SUPPOSEDLY is aligned with CC but anyone can put that on the worksheets. There is no requirement that some committee verifies that they actually do truly line up. And even if they like up, the worksheets aren't actually from the people that wrote the standards.

Quoting mom22tumblebugs:

My daughter's math workbook that comes home with her says its common core or CCSS. 

maxswolfsuit
by Max on May. 8, 2014 at 5:56 PM

You are 100% right. 

There are hundreds of "common core worksheets" out there to teach a variety of skills. Some of them are great, others are terrible. Common Core does not dictate what materials are to be used. 

twinplus2
by Member on May. 8, 2014 at 6:26 PM

I find it amusing that so many of the common core worksheets etc. are behind paywalls.

M4LG5
by Gold Member on May. 8, 2014 at 6:30 PM

Quoting twinplus2:

I find it amusing that so many of the common core worksheets etc. are behind paywalls.

What do you mean "behind paywalls"?

maxswolfsuit
by Max on May. 8, 2014 at 7:15 PM

Quoting twinplus2:

The materials released from the large text book publishers have always been that way. And there is tons of free stuff that says it's aligned to Common Core. 

Not sure why it's amusing. It's no different than it has always been.  And you really can't blame the publishers for wanting to get paid for their stuff. 

maxswolfsuit
by Max on May. 8, 2014 at 7:16 PM

Quoting M4LG5:

Quoting twinplus2:

What do you mean "behind paywalls"?

You can't get to it unless you have a paid subscription. 

hma1216
by Member on May. 8, 2014 at 9:01 PM
Yes. CCSS are simply standards. The big companies are selling their books and workbooks by aligning them to CCSS and marketing it that way. Websites are doing the same thing.
twinplus2
by Member on May. 8, 2014 at 10:47 PM

Back in the day, elementary school kids brought home textbooks from school which parents could browse to see what was going to be covered during a particular school year. (My oldest graduates from elementary school this year and she has never brought home a standard textbook.) All I see are misc. "worksheets" so it is really difficult to evaluate the changes being made. I tried to review sample pages of CC aligned textbooks/study aids, but then I kept running into pay walls.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)