Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Will you work to prevent the summer slide?

Posted by on May. 11, 2014 at 11:34 AM
Max
  • 52 Replies

What's the summer slide you may wonder...

Summer Slide is the loss of learning that takes place over summer break when students aren't engaged in learning. Your brain is like a muscle. If you work out and get in shape you won't stay that way unless you keep working out. Kids work hard all year to make progress in reading and math. When they don't use those skills all summer they start to slip away. 

An average student will start the year off two months behind where they were when school ended. Some students lose up to as much as six months of learning over summer break. 

This obviously impacts students because the first month of school is more about getting back what's lost than making new progress. But the bigger impact is how frustrating it is for the kids. When a student starts the new school year struggling it's very discouraging. Especially for kids in the primary grades who were reading at the end of the year. When they can't do it in the fall it's upsetting. They don't understand why they are suddenly worse at something they could do a couple of months before. 

How can you avoid this?

With reading it's pretty simple- Keep reading. Ask for a summer reading list or get one online. Have your kids pick books from the library. Hit up yard sales for new to you cheap books. Kids who read every day all summer can avoid the summer slide and even increase their reading skills over the break. 

For some kids it's just a matter of reminding them occasionally and making sure they have books on hand. For many it takes a little more support from a parent.  Young kids and reluctant readers benefit greatly from a parent sitting and listening to them read. Not only does it keep them on track, it shows them that reading is a priority. 

Practicing math over the summer is a little trickier. There's tons of free resources online for worksheets and practice games. But honestly, I wouldn't push that too much. I try to focus on where we can use math every day. Have kids help with the budget at the grocery store, count steps as you go up a big staircase,  look for patterns in architecture, have the kids measure things while cooking. Math is all around us in the word you just have to look for it.

It is important to review those rote facts kids learn during the school year. Our family does lots of math practice in the car. My son an I take turns giving each other problems to solve. We also pull out flash cards a couple of times a week and spend 10 minutes reviewing. 

I am definitely NOT saying kids should spend their whole summer break doing worksheets. I am just saying that learning shouldn't stop just because school is out. Keep those brains working!

by on May. 11, 2014 at 11:34 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommaFruFru
by Gold Member on May. 11, 2014 at 11:50 AM
I plan to get the boys each work.books, for the upcoming year. And we will do them 2 days a week. They are enrolled in a summer camp 3 days a week, that is geared toward this too. Its all day 8am till 5pm. They will have "school" for a few hours, along with plenty of free fun time! And it is all free!

Reading will be our hard subject. With a upcoming 1st grader, and 3rd grader who hates to read :( but we live across the street from a library, so I hope that helps!
SahmTam
by Tammy on May. 11, 2014 at 11:54 AM
1 mom liked this

Thank goodness for each teacher in middle school handing out a syllabus at the start of the year. I can use this to keep up my oldest's math skills- his math is pretty well beyond what we can just do around the house now. It will probably require worksheets, but I'm going to just hit all of the major skills and do 1-2 problems a day for him so he doesn't get overwhelmed, but also doesn't completely lose everything he gained this year.

I may do some worksheets with my younger kids (a couple of good word problems here and there), but they will most likely take care of it themselves- they are both little math nerds like their dad. Haha!

maxswolfsuit
by Max on May. 11, 2014 at 11:56 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting SahmTam:

Thank goodness for each teacher in middle school handing out a syllabus at the start of the year. I can use this to keep up my oldest's math skills- his math is pretty well beyond what we can just do around the house now. It will probably require worksheets, but I'm going to just hit all of the major skills and do 1-2 problems a day for him so he doesn't get overwhelmed, but also doesn't completely lose everything he gained this year.

I may do some worksheets with my younger kids (a couple of good word problems here and there), but they will most likely take care of it themselves- they are both little math nerds like their dad. Haha!

That's true. For older kids you're not going to come across as much math just doing every day things. 

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on May. 11, 2014 at 12:08 PM
2 moms liked this

I am very anti-workbook, in fact, I hate the darn things.  My boys have never once used one and quite honestly it hasn't impacted them at all.  Luckily my boys love to read and read daily all year long, it is just something that they enjoy.  Same with math, we use it every day without even realizing it.  They help prepare meals, which involved math.  When we travel, they get a map and plot our trip out.  They help with grocery shopping.  Even small things like paying for ice cream at the ice cream shop is math practice.  You can even practice math while jumping rope or playing hopscotch.  I'm all about making it fun instead of sitting at the table with workbooks for a few hours.

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on May. 11, 2014 at 12:12 PM

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

Quoting SahmTam:

That's true. For older kids you're not going to come across as much math just doing every day things. 

Building projects are great practice for older kids.  Have them calculate how many square feet of carpeting they'd need to redo their bedroom and how much it would cost.  Have them figure out how much lumber they'd need to build a deck, shed, tree house, etc.

I drew my own plans for our pool deck and calculated what was needed to build it all on my own.  I also had my older son do the same just for fun.  When we were actually building, we'd have him measure and mark the lumber for cutting.

wakymom
by Ruby Member on May. 11, 2014 at 1:31 PM

They read, and if they want to go on any math websites, they are more than welcome to. I usually don't push it. I might (if I remember to) have dd work some on her multiplication facts just b/c she's a little unsure of herself on them.

Ds1 will be taking P.E. online this summer (health stuff and an excersize log). That's more so he has room in his schedule for a study hall than to prevent any summer slide, but it works : )

Luvmy2babies22
by Bronze Member on May. 11, 2014 at 1:52 PM
No we won't do anything other than our usual bedtime reading. He's in first grade so I'm not too worried about it. He met end of the year expectations back in December so I think he'll be alright even if he needs a refresher in fractions next fall.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Howardx5
by Member on May. 11, 2014 at 1:57 PM
Yes. The last day of school is may 30th. Summer school starts June 4th. DD begged me to sign her up. (this summer schools is to prep for the following year not for playing catch up because she failed classes this year.). That's a 4-6 week thing. Then regular schools starts back late August. Knowing my DD shell be online on softschool.com or other similar sites. She's also a book worm so well be spending many days at the library too I'm sure
ladymaleficent
by Member on May. 11, 2014 at 1:57 PM
We are going I,to 6th I will attempt to get him to read but he hates it so much and with no "grade" I see a fight ahead, math is hard and his school there is no book work it is hands on and on their I pads, summer is normally busy for us we live in a tourist town DH's work hours increase mine stay about the same my son has surf camp, boot camp, karate camp and the football camp,we have 2 scheduled vacations and he will go once a week with grandmama on a road trip to God knows where,we do what we can but his summer is about him
auntangelofsix
by Angel on May. 11, 2014 at 2:42 PM
We are going to try to with my 7th grader.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)