Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Does your school offer an extended school year or summer school?

Posted by on May. 11, 2014 at 11:05 PM
  • 37 Replies

Does your school offer an extended school year or a summer school?

In our schools, the extended school year is for those on the cusp and need the extra support in order to move on to the next level/grade.

Summer school is for the higher grades and allows kids to get ahead.

Will your child be attending either this summer?

by on May. 11, 2014 at 11:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jerichos_Mommy
by Bronze Member on May. 12, 2014 at 3:42 AM

Sort of.  There is a program but kids have to qualfy by either being behind at the end of the year or taking longer than 1 month to catch up after summer break.  Mine doesn't qualify in either case.

ljmom24
by Silver Member on May. 12, 2014 at 6:12 AM
Sort of. They have a program it's free but first come first serve bad you have to be invited. Generally you need to be in special ed or have low test scores but you must commit for 5 days a week for 4 weeks. It's only 8-12 but it you need full time summer care you are out of luck.

Ds has been invited before but we work full time and their hours don't work plus I do think kids should get to be kids. Up until this year he hated school so going extra when he could be at camp swimming and playing sports was not going to help that.
the3Rs
by Bronze Member on May. 12, 2014 at 6:19 AM
Our summer school is different. There are classes for each grade for those who are struggling, but the rest of summer school is fun stuff.

My kids have taken cooking classes, learned how to play chess & other games, scrapbooking, "let's play ball" where they play lots of different sports, robotics, an invention class where they had to take apart a broken appliance & make something new out of it, the list goes on and on. They also provide free breakfast & lunch to every kid (not just those who qualify) so that's awesome.
disneymom2two
by Silver Member on May. 12, 2014 at 6:53 AM

Extended year is only for the most severely challenged students in our district.  My students attend; they are are significantly cognitively delayed.  My daughter attended the ASD program's summer program as a peer last year.  She enjoyed it (mostly social activities rather than academics being done during the time peers are there) and was disappointed when I said she couldn't go this year; it just doesn't fit into our schedule.

momtoBrenna
by Silver Member on May. 12, 2014 at 7:18 AM

No, they don't offer either one. It is a charter school and their lease doesn't allow for it because they lease from a church and they need the space in the Summer. 

snowangel1979
by Bronze Member on May. 12, 2014 at 7:24 AM
For elementary they offer a free program during the summer if they think the child needs it. It's 2 weeks in late June and 2 weeks in august.

Not next year but the year after our district is starting year round schooling for K-8. They'll go the same amount of days but they'll have more breaks during the year and July off.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommy053008
by Maria on May. 12, 2014 at 7:25 AM
They don't offer it and no my daughter will be doing camps we will work on reading writing and simple adding and subtracting at home
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on May. 12, 2014 at 8:23 AM

Summer school is for those children who have failed their current grade level, it is a way for them to attempt to catch up and move on with their peers in the fall instead of repeating the grade level.

No, my children aren't even close to qualifying for summer school.

LoriAnn87
by LoriAnn on May. 12, 2014 at 8:37 AM

Our schools offer summer school to those who need or are faling a grade. My son doesn't need summer school.

soymujer
by Mikki on May. 12, 2014 at 8:44 AM

It's all summer school here.  And my middle son may have to go if he fails English class (he's a freshman and if they fail a core class, they have to go to summer schoo).  The other kids won't have to.

family in the van   Mom of four

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN