Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Books for an Advanced Reader in Kindergarten

SlightlyPerfect
36 minutes ago
Posted by on May. 14, 2014 at 1:35 PM
  • 35 Replies
1 mom liked this

My daughter is 5 and an advanced reader. We've blown through almost every book in our local library that is on her reading level.

She loves Fancy Nancy, Spider Man, Transformers, Legos, Eloise, and similar characters/books/series.

Can you recommend any Level 1 or Level 2 books she could try out? Or any more advanced books I can read to her? We read at least a half hour every day, so we're running out of ideas.

Thanks!

by on May. 14, 2014 at 1:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SewingMamaLele
by Member on May. 14, 2014 at 1:37 PM
2 moms liked this
Have you started chapter books? The magic treehouse, flat Stanley, etc... ? I stay away from Junie b Jones because I dislike the awful grammar, but some kids enjoy them!
geekymom08
by Member on May. 14, 2014 at 2:02 PM
Try chapter books like the above person mentioned! If you ask your child's teacher, they should be able to give you ideas. My child's teacher has been really helpful in that department! If they don't know, they could ask a 1st grade teacher for recommendations.
tisami1
by New Member on May. 14, 2014 at 2:42 PM

We just started chapter books that we read together. So,far he has liked My Weird School the best

NeonGirl9583
by Member on May. 14, 2014 at 2:44 PM
I read my pee wee scouts book to my kindergarten. She can read them now. She loves them
wakymom
by Ruby Member on May. 14, 2014 at 2:46 PM

I help in dd's school library when a 1st gr class is in there. A lot of them check out from these series: Magic Tree House, Junie B. Jones, Rainbow Magic, Bad Kitty, Ivy and Bean, Geronimo Stilton, Captain Underpants, Ricky Ricotta.

geekymom08
by Member on May. 14, 2014 at 2:51 PM
My son is hooked on Captain Underpants! He's in kindergarten.... And we read the books together. Lol.

Quoting wakymom:

I help in dd's school library when a 1st gr class is in there. A lot of them check out from these series: Magic Tree House, Junie B. Jones, Rainbow Magic, Bad Kitty, Ivy and Bean, Geronimo Stilton, Captain Underpants, Ricky Ricotta.

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on May. 14, 2014 at 3:25 PM

An advanced reader in kindergarten should be ready for beginning chapter books.  Magic Treehouse and Junie B. Jones were favorites at that age in my house.

nomadbrat83
by Bronze Member on May. 14, 2014 at 5:36 PM
I agree with pp
mom22tumblebugs
by Gold Member on May. 14, 2014 at 6:01 PM

Magic Tree House, Ivy and Bean, Junie B Jones

mom22tumblebugs
by Gold Member on May. 14, 2014 at 6:04 PM

Quoting SewingMamaLele:  I stay away from Junie b Jones because I dislike the awful grammar, but some kids enjoy them!

I just changed the grammar when I read the books. With my second daughter, she liked the bad grammar b/c it adds humor. Like when kids say psketti for spaghetti... that is kind of how the author wrote the book. I understood it better the second time I read the Junie B Jones books. I also downloaded the audiobook versions from my local library. My kids liked reading along to the audiobook, and listening to the books in the dark as they went to sleep. I also downloaded Magic Tree House.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)