Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

I had the niece who came home with the goldfish

Posted by on May. 15, 2014 at 6:41 AM
  • 18 Replies

Earlier this year, my niece got a live goldfish as a good behavior prize. 

Yesterday, my son came home with a pine tree. It's a tiny one wrapped in a paper towel in a baggie. Most of the kids at his school live in small townhomes or apartments. Of course he wants to plant it. 

Anyway, everyone in his class got one so it's not like he was super good like his cousin. LOL. 

by on May. 15, 2014 at 6:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
wakymom
by Ruby Member on May. 15, 2014 at 7:29 AM

I can see a teacher wanting to give something different, but a sapling? Ok. . . At least it's not a pet!

aetrom
by Gold Member on May. 15, 2014 at 8:44 AM
Lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on May. 15, 2014 at 11:57 AM
We used to get a tree every year. The school would hqve the foresty dept come and talk about conservation and fire safety and we got a tree. I think they all died in the first few weeks...lmao

Better idea but worse life span than goldfish!
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on May. 15, 2014 at 12:02 PM

That is cool.  Something like that would go over very well here since there aren't any apartments, condos, townhouses or anything like that.  The closest that we have would be two trailer courts.

Maggie228
by Member on May. 15, 2014 at 12:32 PM
2 moms liked this

How about a sticker instead? DD won a goldfish at school. DH  put it in the tank with the other two goldfish next morning all 3 were dead. This year DD told them no thank you Can I have a pretzel instead.

4HMomto3
by on May. 15, 2014 at 12:57 PM

The tree was probably for Arbor Day.  If he wants to plant it, check with your local park district, state park, town, ect. They may have a spot he can plant it. 

PinkButterfly66
by on May. 15, 2014 at 1:02 PM

Talk to the apartment management company.  Maybe there will be some place he can plant it.  

2-point-doe
by Bronze Member on May. 15, 2014 at 1:44 PM

I think that's cool. You could plant it in a pot and put it on your deck.

huskermom98
by Silver Member on May. 15, 2014 at 1:48 PM

That would be cool--my 3rd grader came home with a cabbage plant about a month ago because of what they were learning/working on in class.  Great idea, but like the OP, not everyone lives in a house with big backyard in his class!  Luckily we have a big garden in our backyard, but a cabbage plant certainly wasn't in DH's garden plan.  He found a spot for it, but we'll have to figure out what to do with the cabbage if we get it to grow...

diaperstodating
by Queen24Princes on May. 15, 2014 at 3:46 PM

We got four trees this year for Earth Day. My younger two sons each got a tree from school, and also from an Earth Day festival we went to.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)