Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

What if a child forgets to go to intervention?

Posted by on May. 15, 2014 at 9:29 PM
  • 40 Replies

I have a 6th grader (still elementary here) who is supposed to get writing help once a week and speech therapy twice a week.  This is all per his IEP. 

I just found out that he has only seen the writing instructor twice out of the last seven weeks.  She claims she reminded him to come in the morning, but he never did, so apparently she just left it at that.  When I found this out, I checked with the speech pathologist.  SHe said he had only missed speech "once or twice." 

Of course I am furious.  Even if my kid wasn't at the second percentile for short-term memory (which he is), I would think someone could call the classroom and tell a kid to get where he needs to go.  And I would think that someone would think that missing IEP interventions would be important enough to to email parents about.

That being said-- I am wondering how other schools and districts handles these pull-out interventions.  Do you expect kids to just go and come when they need to?  What if they forget?  And at what point are parents notified if kids do not show up for their sessions?

by on May. 15, 2014 at 9:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
DrDoofenshmirtz
by Silver Member on May. 15, 2014 at 9:32 PM
1 mom liked this

Is this 1:1 help?  If so, then the teacher was just free for that time?  How strange.  When I had kids that recieved such services, they were picked up by the teacher if it wasn't a replacement for a class.  (as in, my kids who went to get services daily went on their own as it was part of the daily routine)

soymujer
by Mikki on May. 15, 2014 at 9:33 PM

I would think that if the student didn't show up, she'd be giving the classroom teacher a call or go down and get him.

family in the van   Mom of four

-42-
by Member on May. 15, 2014 at 9:49 PM
My first grader has extra reading help and she comes to his class to get him. The speech teacher did the same.
lilmama8408
by Member on May. 15, 2014 at 10:10 PM

I would think they would send some sort of note to get the child or go get the child. My son is only in PreK but they come and get him and i was told that will continue until Myself, him, and the therapist agree he can go on his own

mjande4
by Platinum Member on May. 15, 2014 at 10:38 PM
1 mom liked this

By 6th grade I would expect the kid to remember to go. In addition, with the proliferation of students that have IEPs, the individual students have to take ownership of their schedules if they deviate from the rest of the class.

JanetteA
by Bronze Member on May. 15, 2014 at 10:47 PM
3 moms liked this

I agree that kids SHOULD "take ownership" or whatever, but sometimes they don't.  These are kids with IEPs, after all. 

And legally they are required to get their IEP interventions, whether they remember or not.  

mjande4
by Platinum Member on May. 15, 2014 at 10:56 PM

Sixth grade is middle school. It's the child's responsibility. That intervention teacher may have upwards of 40 kids on her caseload. I would start with my kid and ask HIM why he's not going. At his age it's high time to stop coddling and making excuses no matter what the disability is. 

Quoting JanetteA:

I agree that kids SHOULD "take ownership" or whatever, but sometimes they don't.  These are kids with IEPs, after all. 

And legally they are required to get their IEP interventions, whether they remember or not.  

mommyof11050307
by Bronze Member on May. 15, 2014 at 10:59 PM
I'd be pissed off at the fact you weren't told before today. The teacher should have said something so you could correct the problem. It's their job to communicate with you when there's a problem.
As for your son maybe get him a watch. He needs to remember he needs to be there at the correct time.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
thatgirl70
by Bronze Member on May. 15, 2014 at 10:59 PM

I think she should be going to get him.

t1gger143
by Member on May. 15, 2014 at 11:01 PM
We call out the kids at the high school level.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN